Tunnel Ram on a DD 302 (long post!)

No Mercy

Established Member
My Mach 1 was totaled by an asshole in a 2013 Lexus 6 weeks ago. Picking me up a 83 5.0 almost stock today or tomorrow. I want to put a tunnel ram intake on it with some butterfly valves but still want it daily drivable. I just want it to be cool looking; power is great ofc but I'm not going to be spinning 8k R's all day...
So I've heard a couple different opinions about the possibilities of running a TR on a DD:

I've heard a TR with dual 390/450 is possible with the right gears for low end torque and cam.

Also heard a TR with a single carb 500cfm-750cfm is possible...but that it really doesn't utilize the plenum for max potential, and can also be very hard to tune...

I was also curious but have not found any info on it if there's a TR that could be used with two 2bl carbs? Maybe that wouldn't be overkill for a daily driver set up...?

The motor appears to be stockish..I do got a decent budget to work with though. I know I'll need supporting bolt on mods and a smaller dizzy, but any info on specific set ups and parts would be very helpful.

Critisizm and nay sayers are welcome!

Im not an experienced mechanic...I know my way around but by no means am I a pro. But this has always been a dream of mine and I want to fulfill it...I do have a 72 coupe bird with a 429 in it and I know that would much better respond with the setup I want to run but it needs too much work to be a DD at the moment. A Fox 302 is what is in my budget and what I feel most comfortable working on...so if this setup is possible please any advice, opinions and information is very much appreciated.

Summary: stock 302, want to run a tunnel ram set up on it and still have it manageable on the street from day to day, not concerned with monster HP as much as the driveability of the vehicle. Thank you for your time and attention!

- Andre

(P.S. sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum section!)

No Mercy

Established Member
Just picked up the car. Runs fantastic. 4 on the floor. Stock motor. 120k original miles. Only performance work is straight pipes out the back. If anyone has any experience with a tunnel ram on a 302 please give me some info on the best setup for a daily driver. Thanks in advance for your time fellas!

No Mercy

Established Member
80+ views and no replies! Does anyone out there have any experience with tunnel ram intakes? I'm not opposed to a stroker kit but I don't know if it'll work better or worse with the set up I have in mind. Any advice or opinions is greatly appreciated I have a fairly deep budget on this.

FortFun

80+ views and no replies! Does anyone out there have any experience with tunnel ram intakes? I'm not opposed to a stroker kit but I don't know if it'll work better or worse with the set up I have in mind. Any advice or opinions is greatly appreciated I have a fairly deep budget on this.

Just found you and got registered. I made a new tunnel ram for exactly this purpose. You can Google " Real Street Ram". It has four small plenums instead of one huge one and works awesome with stock engines. Looks like a tunnel and drives like fuel injection.

I have a customer in San Antonio who has one on a 302 and loves it. I will see if he will show you his and give you a ride.

Wayne in Fort Fun

No Mercy

Established Member
Thanks Wayne. Checked out the website and looks exactly like what I want. I'd really be interested in meeting your customer here in town; I could buy em lunch or something if he'd be willing to show me the work. I'll be in touch with ya via pm or email. Thanks for the response bud!

Users who are viewing this thread