Turbo 03 cobra motor

XRQTOR

Banned
Hey fellas i am about to buy a 96 cobra and i want to put a 01 cobra crate motor in then add a hp twin turbo kit. Now to run any respectable boost i will need a forged shortblock, and ive been told the o3 heads are far better for boost applications. Now just how strong are the o3 motors could they safely handle 600rwhp in a daily driver. I was thinking of a 03 longblock and remaining stock 01 gear but i have been told that the 03 heads and 01 intake arn't compatible. But I need a complete engine. Any idears on how to get a 03 crate engine set up for n/a.

rezcobra

Established Member
The 03 Cobra engine would make a good turbo engine. You can get them now on Ebay for about 9500 complete. Talk to Davidmax from Xtreme. I think he's using the 03 heads and an 01 intake on his 03 Cobra due to running a centrifugal S/C. He's a member of this site.

XRQTOR

Banned
yea it seems like a good ide seeing as the motor was build with boost in mind, but it is a expensive route to go 9.5k for the motor, and still have no intake to when i throw the blower away.

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by XRQTOR
yea it seems like a good ide seeing as the motor was build with boost in mind, but it is a expensive route to go 9.5k for the motor, and still have no intake to when i throw the blower away.

sometimes its just cheaper and more cost effective to just sell your car and upgrade to the cobra. That is what I am doing and I never thought I'd sell my current car.

XRQTOR

Banned
i could probally afford an 03, but add shiping, conversion, tax and compliancing to that and i cant. It nearly doubles the cost of the car. I had planned on bring a 99 cobra bach here but i cant get finance for a imported car, but i can for a locally made one. I'd be happy to own a 96 cobra with the motor i want. I have roughly 12k us to spend on motor and turbo setup for now. I am willing to buy the engine now and wait a little while till i save enough again for the turbo kit, as i dont want to spend thousands of dollars just to put a stock short block in and have to replace it again within months.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
dude, i would just build (or have one built) a 96-98 motor. the heads are great for forced induction, the blocks are strong as hell, all they need is a good set of pistons and rods. also, i would go ahead and throw some turbo cams in it, and you might as well go ahead and get a tubular k member and A arms, as most all turbo kits i have seen require them.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by 03InThe11s
dude, i would just build (or have one built) a 96-98 motor. the heads are great for forced induction, the blocks are strong as hell, all they need is a good set of pistons and rods. also, i would go ahead and throw some turbo cams in it, and you might as well go ahead and get a tubular k member and A arms, as most all turbo kits i have seen require them.

Ditto..... Nothing wrong with that starting point, except rods and pistons..... Keep an eye on your cooling........ safest tune in the world won't prevent detonation in an over heated car.
watch the left head temps... read the heat marks on the plugs, get a direct read(real) temp guage, think about a better radiator,....................you WILL!!! be making some extra heat!!!!!
Jimmy
:thumbsup:

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
Originally posted by rezcobra
The 03 Cobra engine would make a good turbo engine. You can get them now on Ebay for about 9500 complete. Talk to Davidmax from Xtreme. I think he's using the 03 heads and an 01 intake on his 03 Cobra due to running a centrifugal S/C. He's a member of this site.

You dont even need the 01 intake anymore. Procharger uses a sheetmetal intake for their kits.

J15BIG

Established Member
Originally posted by P_Lomez
You dont even need the 01 intake anymore. Procharger uses a sheetmetal intake for their kits.

Can you get the manifold without buying a kit?

akaeric

Established Member
A turbo world is a little differant from a SC car. The cost will be alot a differant ECU etc. I just got out of the 300 zx twin turbo world and was producing as much HP as the Cobra. I would think about it thats all.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
only $1599? thats expensive. a hellova lot more than the one allready on the 96. why spend the money on a 03 crate motor when you can build one for less than half that, that is more ideal for your needs

XRQTOR

Banned
I know its a expensive. I was being sarcastic. Spoken with turbo charged power again, they said the 01+ intake fits 03 heads but the upper and lower is required. With the aussie dollar dropping the way it is, i will only be able to buy the turbo kit (for now). Will have to settle with just 400rwhp once i get it up and running. The o3 longblock is $5500 used from karkraft, they also sell brand new heads for $950 would these heads be complete ready to use. If so add these to a x2c motorsport v.o2 shortblock and its $4000 and good for at least the same power. ADD a take off 01 manifold unit, includes fuel rail, injectors, throttle body & upper/lower but no harness or computer. Thats a good start but where would i be able to find the remaining parts to make this a complete motor, what else would be needed.

XRQTOR

Banned
Ok fellas what else is required to make a complete running engine, aside from x2c shortblock, karkraft 03 heads, take off intake with the above parts. Now as far as i can think limited as it is, computer & harness, alternator, ac compressor, starter motor, could anyone tell me what else is needed and where i could possibly get them frm.

Users who are viewing this thread