Turbo Boost on a Stock 4.6

blackstripe98

Established Member
My question is how much intercooled turbo boost can a stock 98 4.6 GT motor hold up to on average? I have a turbo off a diesel that I got from work for free. Im not sure what it will make boost wise but Im sure it will be more than enough for my stock motor. Any info. you could give me on this project would be appreciated.

(In the dark) :shrug:

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
I would say keep it under 10psi..but some people have gone 12 and more. It's all in the tune. I blew my engine at 8psi non-intercooled. Shitty tune was to blame. Didn't go back to that tuner when i got a built motor.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
I don't really have anything to say except that a turbo off a diesel which I'm assuming was quite large will not be a very good match for your 4.6 liter.

99cobranix

Rice Eater
Established Member
I don't really have anything to say except that a turbo off a diesel which I'm assuming was quite large will not be a very good match for your 4.6 liter.

I agree, I takes a lot of motor to spin one of those mammoth Garrets, plus the diesel's run like 27lbs i think for the Super Duty's. I could be wrong, but this may not be worth all the hassles you're going to have with compatibility. IMO

blackstripe98

Established Member
The turbo I have is a hosset turbo its not that big it came off a 4 cyl. diesel. Im not sure how much boost it will make Im thinking no less than 10 and no more than 20 or 25. Thanks for looking

tuke

I am t3h Banned
Established Member
Which one is it? Since it is a Holset from a diesel it more than likely came off of a Cummins I6. If its an HX35 or HY35 (pretty common) you shouldn't have much trouble at all getting that sucker to spool (I know a guy using a HY35 on a 2.5l) you might even wanna look into an HX40 or HX40W. What condition is it in, they're really durable turbos, they endure extremely high boost pressures and throttle surge (no bypass valves on diesels) all day long and I've seen em used for 500k miles w/o having any troubles.

http://www.bullseye-power.com/product_info.php?products_id=56

Last edited:

GtownMACH

smoke tires, not drugs
Established Member
a turbo off a diesel what? Truck or tractor? If its off a powerstroke or something its probably like 60-65mm which would be too big. Plus you would have to fab up all the plumbing for it and the intercooler not to mention headers. Just buy a full kit and only run only about 6 psi. 6 pounds from a turbo will make tons of power,.. if tuned right.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Diesel turbos arent generally good in performance applications, not to say it hasent or can't be done..

SpookSVT

Established Member
My cousin recently bought one off a dodge cummins diesal (not familier w/ holset models), he has a 2.3L foxbody. Another guy w/ a 2.3L is making close to 500rwhp w/ the same turbo at like 25+psi and is getting full boost around 3500RPM's. Like JDK said its not ideal but it is very usable.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
tuke said:
Explain ?

Turbos for Diesel apps generally have an efficiency range way off the scale from what most gas apps use.. From say 25-40 PSI. While some people might run close to 25 PSI or more on their gasser, that generally is not the gas.

Users who are viewing this thread