Turbo diesel truck guys, I need your input!

ReducedFat

THE PONTIFICATOR
Established Member
Alrighty

After watching that F350 run low 11's and a Cummins powered Dodge do the same launching in 3rd gear :bowdown: , I've decided that a turbo diesel truck would be an awesome project for a street sleeper.

My question to you guys, thus, is what is the best bang for the buck in diesel trucks? It would have to be as old and cheap as possible. What can make the biggest power? Which makes the most power for the least money? Which has the most punch stock?

Now, being a Ford guy I'd like to hear that the powerstroke/earlier model F series trucks are unquestionably the best, but since that might not be the case I guess I can settle for otherwise :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help :beer:

SVTHorsnake

Banned
I don't know but I can tell you that we beat a somewhat modded WRX in my friend's Stroke 4 door long bed on 38's buy putting it in 4WD and launching at 2500 rpm. It has a flip chip and exhaust.:rockon: Good Luck with you Project.:beer:

SVTHorsnake

Banned
there was some diesel forum that was posted a while back when I asked for any diesel forums, hopefully whoever posted it will remind me of what it was on this thread...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
It is my understanding that the F350 pulled the powerstroke and put in the cummins. the older dodges can be bought cheap but pre-96 (I think) are 12 valve and 96-on are 24 valve. The drivetrain is the weak link in the dodge. I have a fried who rebuilt a 94 dodge with Marine cummins parts. the 94 had 160hp stock. he was on the Dyno at 329rwhp still had RPMs left and the TQ converter unlocked, (his finger slipped off the lockup switch) the turbo overspooled and exploded) He hasn't finished the repairs from the resulting fire yet, But that Dullie auto would spin the tires through 1st and 2nd. Damm impressive.

kgcobra03

Established Member
Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
If you want all out nasty, get a cummins, the 12 valve motors are pretty cheap in the right spots, but if you want that 24 valve motor they are a little more expensive. That one that runs 11's is just twin-turbo'd that runs on alcohol. And on the earlier ford diesels, I would stick to a powerstroke, the pre stroker 7.3, and n/a 7.3's and 6.9's are alright, but alot more can be done with the powerstroke. Just askyourself would you rather be strokin or cummin??

kwkshift

Established Member
Keep in mind that diesels are extremely expensive to modify. The Cummins engines have the most simplistic fuel system to manipulate, unlike the Powerstrokes. That is why sooo many people race with them. Also, things that you now pay $300 for like injectors, are in the thousands of dollars for diesels.

Users who are viewing this thread