turbo GTO

new2BIGPAR

Established Member
I had a run with a turbo 5.7L GTO lastnight. He's running a rear mount Super 70 on his car. He has been getting it lined out and was only running 7psi when we ran, but from a 40 roll to about 120 I had him by about 2.5 cars. Guy was real cool and I'm sure once he gets more boost at it, the results will differ for sure.:burnout:

He as actually talking about changing the turbo out for a smaller one cause of the lag on it. It did seem pretty laggy, but then again anything is laggy compared to instant boost.:D

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
Was it a 6 speed or auto? The 6 speed really needs the T60 or GT67 so it will spool faster or go with the APS or Gen TT twin turbo setup. Samller, faster spooling turbos. The larger setups take to long to spool for the manual. The single 70 and 76 on the stalled autos are insane!

sikklightning04

sikklightning04
Established Member
if he would spool it up before he power shifts he probably would have been window to window. If it was an auto he would have been screwed. haha

new2BIGPAR

Established Member
Doc GTO said:
Was it a 6 speed or auto? The 6 speed really needs the T60 or GT67 so it will spool faster or go with the APS or Gen TT twin turbo setup. Samller, faster spooling turbos. The larger setups take to long to spool for the manual. The single 70 and 76 on the stalled autos are insane!

His was a 6-speed. I think he was talking about getting a 67 so it will spool up faster.

new2BIGPAR

Established Member
sikklightning04 said:
if he would spool it up before he power shifts he probably would have been window to window. If it was an auto he would have been screwed. haha

He was brake boosting right before we went. I could hear it spooling up as I was lining up with him. That turbo isn't running NEAR what it should boost wise.

My Cobra has a intake, 2.8 pulley, MAC offrad H pipe, Diable tuner, and stage 3 ported blower on it. The previous owner said it made 480whp and 482trq when he dynoed it last. I'm gonna take it and have it done just to see for myself sometime soon. Best at the track when the previous owner had it was a 7.65 @ 95-96mph I believe.

Last edited:

new2BIGPAR

Established Member
LittleMT said:
Thats good for a 11.7ish in a 1/4 mile... Trap speed alittle low..

What kind of power does the trap indicate to you? This is why I was thinking the dyno numbers he gave me might be a little high. Does 480whp sound about right for my mods?:??:

LittleMT

Established Member
new2BIGPAR said:
What kind of power does the trap indicate to you? This is why I was thinking the dyno numbers he gave me might be a little high. Does 480whp sound about right for my mods?:??:

480ish sounds right, I bet the 1/8 trap was probably 3-5mph higher...

LittleMT

Established Member
new2BIGPAR said:
I don't see my car almost trapping 100mph or more in the 1/8....:shrug:

Well you did really well to outrun the Turbo GTO.. Even if its turbo is laggy...

Your car just might be mph'ering better then you realize..

In any event, good luck with it and nice kill, as some of those turbo GTO's can get very nasty....

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
new2BIGPAR said:
He was brake boosting right before we went. I could hear it spooling up as I was lining up with him. That turbo isn't running NEAR what it should boost wise.

Someone explain brake boosting to me! i get the concept but wouldnt that take way the hell to long when u are lining up with another car on the street?
I have a TT v6 with a shit ton of lag but If i down shift hard 1 or 2 gears it get them spinning quick enough i think.

fusionchicken

Established Member
murph said:
new2BIGPAR said:

Someone explain brake boosting to me! i get the concept but wouldnt that take way the hell to long when u are lining up with another car on the street?
I have a TT v6 with a shit ton of lag but If i down shift hard 1 or 2 gears it get them spinning quick enough i think.

say u're goin 80mph, and u want to start the race at 60mph...as u're braking from 80 to 60mph u're braking but stepping on the gas pedal at the same time, spooling ur turbo.

or you could be going 60mph already, and while honking step on the gas enough to spool the turbo while step on the brake to prevent the car from moving, then upon 3rd honk let off the brake and you'll launch nicely :)

new2BIGPAR

Established Member
When you are driving and applying the brakes your putting a load on the engine thus spooling the turbo up and building boost. I never tried it in my EVO when I had it cause the stock turbo spooled like a mofo on 22psi.

Users who are viewing this thread