Turbo kits...

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
622834.jpg

I know this is not a Lightning motor nor 5.4. However it is the same engine bay and space. It is on an 98 Expy. This also is a very small turbo, and would not be the one used in the kit. However, if I can get this company to produce a Lightning Kit and keep it under $5000 how many of you would be interested??? FWIW, the Expy produced 350 rwhp, 470 rwtq on 20" rims with minimal tuning and 42# injectors and 80 Maf. Imagine what #'s could come out of a 5.4 and bigger turbo!!!
They would be using a Turbonetics T-66 or T-76. Just depends on which one it takes to get 600+ out of the L in their kit.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Depends on how much under 5000, and whats included. Im already looking at the Pro Turbo kit, with a single T76.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
What is the price of their kit? And how much are you thinking? Because getting it under that price is going to be tough. But I am willing to try.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Their kit is 5799.99. It includes pretty much everything. Heres the post for it: http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216511&page=1&pp=40&highlight=Turbo

Price isnt too much of a concern to me, just looking around at whats available. If something is better quality i dont mind spending more money. My last truck, i spent alot of cash i didnt need to, because i bought what was cheap at the time. I want to go forged, before i get brave enough for a turbo.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
It is not as close at it looks, but I agree with you on I would move it some. Due to the larger turbo that would be used in the Lightning kit I would say it would be moved just because of the sheer size of the T-66 or T-76.

I need more people interested to get this moving.. otherwise... it is probably not going happen... at least the group buy price. Yes, I realize that everyone wants a solid price to go from. But I think that the price will vary upon how many people are actually going to get the kit. And the kits will be sold in stages or as a whole. Depends on what you need. And priced accordingly. Turbonetics and Spearco parts...

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
I would be interested if the quality and price was right. I dont wanna buy something just because its cheaper than the other guys. I want to buy something because the vendor took its time and put some quality craftmanship into the product. But I'm with you Smoke that the pro turbo kits are probably a little overpriced right now.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
I wouldn't really say over priced... but I think a cheaper (but just as productive kit) can be made... especially in the form of a group buy...

bubbaSVT

Established Member
If these guys could build a QUALITY kit that looks very nice under the hood for a good price, I'd be interested. I honestly think that kit on the expy posted above is rather hideous.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
I agree that the Expy kit is not the most pleasant on the eye. And it is hard to visualize what the L kit would look like since there are a lot of differences in the motors. I was really hoping to get around $4700 for a price on the kit. But without a doubt they would want at least 10 people interested to get near that price.

Talked to the owner of the shop last night, he said unless the demand increases it will be January/February before they start mass producing a kit. So like I previously stated, we/I need more interest in this kit to get it moved along sooner... But if later is what you guys want then, I will do that too... It just seems that more people are sticking with the idea of paying a bit more to get the Pro-T Kit. Which it is an appealing kit, I just hope to get this kit cheaper than theirs.

This is more toward what I would imagine the kit will look like. But they are going to try and not remove the stock fan set up and move it closer to the side I was told. Yes, I understand that you can not sit it on top of the plastics, so we will have to see when it is all said and done.

HPIM2397.jpg

HPIM2400.jpg

I do think that it will vary from the Pro-T kit, because the manifold is going to probably be polished or powdercoated silver. Time will tell, I will get back to you guys soon.... thanks for looking..

Last edited:

bubbaSVT

Established Member
I dont know if there would be much interest until we saw a final product. There is no way I will commit myself to this until I see a finished product and dyno numbers and reliablity and what not...

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Better yet until some with some built motors get them on and tuned to see what they will do I'm not jumping the KB ship just yet. I want about a years' worth of R&D in the field before I make the switch. I know they are gonna make sick power though. I anticipate there being about a half dozen kits available by springtime. Hell LFP is already selling one. I hope they are as cheap as can be so we can all have one, LOL. Thanks for the initiative Smokeshow.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Hey, Mark's LFP/Pro T kit is at an amazing price... I don't know if it can be beat for the group buy that they are going to have... I am going to try.. but bottom line, there is some much parts that are unable to cut corners on.. so the cost of the kit is still going to be up there... But I am trying to achieve a complete bolt on system... Mark says his is, but if you have to remove the radiator fans, I feel slightly different about it being a complete bolt on kit.. anyways... There just isn't a whole lot of room to mount a t-76 in there... and I am sure many of people have searched and used CAD to find out where is the best place to put it... but I/we are going to search until someone speaks the truth for us...

And I completely understand what you are saying about final product. I am not asking everyone to donate 50% of the kit either though.. I am just asking for 10 people to say that they will get the kit... A big difference there if you ask me..

Thanks for looking and showing some form of interest everyone..

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
As of yet, I do not think they make a kit. But if there is enough interest, I am sure they would make one...

Users who are viewing this thread