turbo manifold bolts

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
what are you guys using for bolts on your turbo manifolds? the way mine are, i cant tighten them all the way because the head of the bolt is too big. i need something i can easily tighten becuase the manifolds leak the way it is now.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Can you use header bolts? They usually have smaller heads.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
Can you use header bolts? They usually have smaller heads.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

i tried the header bolts that were originally on the car and they had a 3/8" head i think it was but they didnt work. the ones that came with the turbo kit are 10mm i think. i need something smaller :shrug:

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
You could possibly try some lock washers on the bolts. Are the bolts that came with the turbo kit hitting the manifold before tightening down all the way? The lock washer could help solve this if thats the case and the bolts are long enough to tighten down with a lock washer.

Are the bolts with the kit shouldered? Is the shoulder on the head hitting the manifold before it tightens down? If its shouldered, you could massage the shoulder and grind it down to fit.

Im trying to think of why a kit would have bolts that dont work. I dont think you will find a bolt with a smaller head that will still have the right shank and pitch to fit the heads.

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
You could possibly try some lock washers on the bolts. Are the bolts that came with the turbo kit hitting the manifold before tightening down all the way? The lock washer could help solve this if thats the case and the bolts are long enough to tighten down with a lock washer.

Are the bolts with the kit shouldered? Is the shoulder on the head hitting the manifold before it tightens down? If its shouldered, you could massage the shoulder and grind it down to fit.

Im trying to think of why a kit would have bolts that dont work. I dont think you will find a bolt with a smaller head that will still have the right shank and pitch to fit the heads.

bolts are shouldered and already ground. thats the first thing i thought to do but they still hit the manifold before tightening all the way. this is an on3 kit. its only a few bolts not all. but its enough to make the manifold leak.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread