turbo or supercharged?

MysssticGhost

Go Sooners!
Established Member
hey guys i have a 96 mystic and was wondering what your thoughts on this topic were. i want to add a power adder and did not know which one to go with. in your opinions what is the best way to go? and what is involved with each upgrade? all opinions wanted here.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
It all depends on how much power your looking to make and how much your looking to spend. If you wanna make some nice power AND torque and money really isnt a issue DEFINITELY go with a turbo(s). And if you do go with the Turbo route get ahold of "RIPPINSVT" on this site before you do anything. But if you wanna make around 400rwhp and 350rwtq and have a easily install along with not spending much money then just buy a used Centrifugal blower off a site like this or Ebay, Ive been seeing them go for very cheap lately.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
In most cases they do. But it all depends on what your looking to do with the car and how much your willing to spend.

MysssticGhost

Go Sooners!
Established Member
i am not sure at this point. i am not loaded with money so i have time to do all the research. but i would love to have a car that is streetable and beat most cars on the road. i am not looking to build a dragcar or anything just want to be fast and put out some good numbers.

MysssticGhost

Go Sooners!
Established Member
i guess also i should ask is the sn95 a good car to build up or buy 03/04 and go from there. i love my mystic though. i guess i should just build it up.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Don't buy an 03/04. As much as I like those cars...I will never own one. I would rather drop 10k in a SN95. I would go supercharger, I mean they are way cheaper compared to turbos. I would go with a 10psi S trim or Vortech with an intercooler. With the right tune, 400hp is no problem.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
MysssticGhost said:
i guess also i should ask is the sn95 a good car to build up or buy 03/04 and go from there. i love my mystic though. i guess i should just build it up.
Yes a sn95 is a good car to build, If your looking to make tons of horsepower we have the perfect block for it, the Teksid block. Also keep in mind that our cars are lighter than 03/04 Cobras and already have a solid too. Making 400rwhp on these cars is cake. I think you will be very satisfied if you just buy a used S trim and get a good safe tune on the car. Depending on the tune you will most likely make around 400-420RWHP.
Mark

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
If you're just looking for something that will be a lot of fun to drive and make decent power, a supercharger (S-trim) will be more than enough. (400-450 rwhp). That you could even do on the stock motor (but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got money for a rebuild saved up. While the block is awesome, the rods and pistons suck and the rods tend to break under boost.) On the other hand if you're looking to build the motor first and make ridiculous power...turbos are almost free power while blowers are actually robbing power to turn the pulley. Turbos are unfortunately more expensive and a little harder to tune (although now if you go to a reputable shop they shouldn't have any problems with it).

EDIT: Don't get a Terminator. Sure it's easier to get big power, because you just swap out the pulley, but if you factor in the cost of the car you're going to spend more. Besides I've got a buddy with a Whipple'd 03 and he's doing tubular K and he just did the solid swap and after all that he's going to weigh what our cars do stock. Now...take the money you saved by keeping the Mystic and put that into a tubular K for this car and you've got a really light car.

Last edited:

SVTCOBRRA

Established Member
supercharger is nice but you have to watchout the rods in the stock 96's are weaker than 97+ so you really cant go over 450 to the wheels, i made 431rwhp on the p1sc

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
I would go turbo if you can afford it(which if Kyle comes through it will be inline with a s/c) and you have more room to play with power wise and it put less strain on the motor

blk96SVT

Established Member
SVTCOBRRA said:
supercharger is nice but you have to watchout the rods in the stock 96's are weaker than 97+ so you really cant go over 450 to the wheels, i made 431rwhp on the p1sc

Ummmm, all the rods in the Cobras pre 03 are crap! Not just 96

blk96SVT

Established Member
I would go turbo if I had to do it over again. Just more efficient of a setup. To the original poster, do lots of research on the topic and be prepared to spend an extra 3500+ to build your motor up after it goes bye-bye.

rocktilldeath10

SVT Poster
Established Member
blk96SVT said:
I would go turbo if I had to do it over again. Just more efficient of a setup. To the original poster, do lots of research on the topic and be prepared to spend an extra 3500+ to build your motor up after it goes bye-bye.

I'm kinda new to this whole engine thing. So please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but in order to "build your motor up", what do you have to do/get. And also were.

I am looking at buying a 98 Cobra with 45k, for $10,700. After the all is said and done, I am going to have about $4500 left to spend on the car.

Now my first thoughts were to dive right in, and buy a supercharger. I was thinking of getting the Kenne Bell 2.1L Twin Screw. Is that a good one, or should i go another route (Procharger or Vortech)?

Now my question is, do i need to "build" my motor for this? I also want to get the basics (Full exhaust, Intake, and any other little performance things). If so, how much would it cost?

Sorry for jacking your thread man. And good luck with you car!

300expat

Banned
im not an expert or anything either but from my understanding your engine will be fine with only the 2.1, i've just heard that you shouldn't go above 10 psi of boost on the stock rods. if you really want to put our serious power with turbos and you'll have to switch over to forged rods and pistons. with 4500 i'd probably go with a used vortech or kenne belle than get exhaust, intake, underdrive pulleys, some gears maybe 3.73's or 4.10's, short throw shifter, and some other goodies maybe to lighten it up. your car will be good for daily driving and still be able to rip most the cars on the street..

rocktilldeath10

SVT Poster
Established Member
Will it still be relyable (sp?) because it wil;l be my daily driver. And What supercharger would be better. The vortech or the Kenne Bell?

300expat

Banned
yeah they're reliable on a motor with under 100k as long as you're not boosting too much, the kenne bell is a twin screw so it will have more bottom end power than the vortech which is a centrifugal and will have more power towards to top, the 2.1 compared to the vortech i'm not sure which will put out more..

Users who are viewing this thread