Turbo or upgraded supercharger?

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
What are you turbo guys running in street trim? I'm at that point where I'm considering a power adder upgrade. I lightening her up this week and playing around with my suspension. I want a streetable ride that runs deep in the 10's on 93.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Tom:burnout:

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
Deep in the 10's on 93 octane is a stretch in these heavy trucks. Your gonna get a lot closer to that on a turbo then a supercharger IMO. I did however run 10.30's on 93 octane and 3.4 whipple but that was with a Shelby 4 valve motor. You may wanna wait a few weeks and see how Scott's truck performs with his 88mm turbo.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I should be well into the 10's on 93 but bottom 10's would be a stretch. Then again my truck is a heavy pig too. I guess we'll see.

rudyyr

Established Member
Sinister,
any pics of the turbo setup? it should be a beast with the turbo..What was your best with the whipple?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Yeah I have some. I'm going to put them all in a new thread with dyno vids once it's done. My best time with the Whipple on the stock block was 11.46@119. With the built block I only ran my pump gas tune and went 7.00@100 or 101, but on the full pass I spun to a 1.8 60ft and only went 11.2X@124-125.

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
What are you turbo guys running in street trim? I'm at that point where I'm considering a power adder upgrade. I lightening her up this week and playing around with my suspension. I want a streetable ride that runs deep in the 10's on 93.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Tom:burnout:

Tom... You should give Paul Albano up in South Windsor, CT a call (Total Induction Tuning 860-282-8487). He's built at least two turbo Lightnings and if you want to see an incredibly clean turbo setup... it's worth a drive because you're only about 2-2 1/2 hours away. His shop is clean like an operating room, and he has a chassis dyno. I think he is pulling around 750 RWHP on the black truck, maybe a little less with the white one. IIRC, I saw printouts of mid-10's, in the 130's. Both are completely docile for the street. He uses nitrous out of the hole and then shuts it off for the rest of the run.

Paul's one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, and his crew are also exceptional. He'll give you lots of good advice.

Mike

Last edited:

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
Thanks guys. Chad, Scott, both you guys have some bada$$ L's. The L moves out nicely with this tune and I enjoy her greatly and have had zero issues (knock on wood). Just want a little more speed. LOL. Best of luck to both you guys with your builds.

Mike.. Thank you for your advice. I may give them a call. I'm not a big fan of nitrous though and do a majority of my playing on the street. I'm not really a track guy, but I wont say no to some lower E.T.'s and higher MPH.

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
Mike.. Thank you for your advice. I may give them a call. I'm not a big fan of nitrous though and do a majority of my playing on the street. I'm not really a track guy, but I wont say no to some lower E.T.'s and higher MPH.

Tom... I don't have a lot of pix of Paul's Turbo, but here's one of the engine and one of the truck I shot last August at a local car show we were both entered in. If you search the "other" site under his handle "mr12volt" you can read all about the build of this truck, step by step.

PaulsTurboL-1.jpg

PaulsTurboL-2.jpg

Compared to my truck... its amazing how "empty" the bay looks. He has the e/fans in front of the radiator pushing air through, so other than the turbo, there's a huge space between the engine and the radiator.

JTBtheWelder

Established Member
I just stopped by his shop today after hearing about this and yes he has 750hp on the black one 650 on the white truck he does have a lot of info and a really nice guy.
forgot to mention the white one is for sale.

Last edited:

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
Sweet ride. Daily driven L? I drive my L every day, back and forth to work and cruising around. How are the street manners on a DD turbo L? Lag? Heat?

Thanks guys. I've been holding off on an upgrade for some time. The MP's is a nasty little blower and makes good power, but I want to maximize horsepower potential on 93.

Tom

SADF

Established Member
That black turbo truck looks nasty. Is that on airide? Normally Id hate a little if it aint tuckin', but that motor makes up for it.

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
I hope Scott doesn't get mad at me for leaking this info but his 88mm turbo spools just as fast as John's 76mm. If the kit is built right and the correct intercooler is chosen then your spool issues will be very limited. Scott's and John's systems are built correctly but Scott's intercooler is what makes the biggest difference in the two systems and how they spool.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Tom... You should give Paul Albano up in South Windsor, CT a call (Total Induction Tuning 860-282-8487). He's built at least two turbo Lightnings and if you want to see an incredibly clean turbo setup... it's worth a drive because you're only about 2-2 1/2 hours away. His shop is clean like an operating room, and he has a chassis dyno. I think he is pulling around 750 RWHP on the black truck, maybe a little less with the white one. IIRC, I saw printouts of mid-10's, in the 130's. Both are completely docile for the street. He uses nitrous out of the hole and then shuts it off for the rest of the run.

Paul's one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, and his crew are also exceptional. He'll give you lots of good advice.

Mike

I am going to have to make a trip to see this turbo truck. It looks real nice.

I would never look for radical performance running pump gas. Not worth the risk to save a few $$$ per gallon when planning to have some fun on a track or street.

My future plans have a bigger/additional power adder involved. Still weighing my choices at this time. For now 9s on a MP are sooo close to being achieved. Weather won't be right until Fall, but I plan to lower both the "boost only" 1.8 liter blower record and the nitrous assisted # as well. I think 9.7s on juice and 10.6x without are the targets. Then it is off to chase the ultimate street truck times!(probably 9.0s by then.)

Jim

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I hope Scott doesn't get mad at me for leaking this info but his 88mm turbo spools just as fast as John's 76mm. If the kit is built right and the correct intercooler is chosen then your spool issues will be very limited. Scott's and John's systems are built correctly but Scott's intercooler is what makes the biggest difference in the two systems and how they spool.

:thumbsup:

Turbo is the way to go, especially on the street.

lightningkylej

Established Member

Never heard that an intercooler can change the spool of a turbo vehicle. That just doesn't sound right.

lightningkylej

Established Member
As for lag, on the street you will not notice much unless you go from a dig. At the track it all depends on the setup. Turbo compressor and turbine size, exhaust manifold or header, compression and tune on the engine, converter, and overall efficiency of the setup will affect the lag at the track.

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
Paul has two of these turbo L's (white & black). When I was at his shop, he started both up for me... smooth as silk, actually not very loud. The black one is quite a build, with air suspension and I think a 4-link rear... all custom fab by Paul in his shop.

11194d1179162602-custom-fab-4-link-build-pics-dscf0495.jpg

11092d1178640768-custom-fab-4-link-build-pics-dscf0490.jpg

To fit those huge 20" rims (widened to 15") with the 18" wide Mickey Thompsons, he had to widen the wheel wells. This was work in progress... finished it looks factory.

11093-custom-fab-4-link-build-pics-dscf0491.jpg

Jim... I'm surprised you haven't been up to see his shop only because you're from CT, its just a few miles north of Hartford and easy to get to. It's a sort of modern, high-tech "Gasoline Alley" with Paul's shop/dyno facility complimented by a few other performance related shops all nestled together in a big, L-shaped building. Must be around a dozen or more bays with offices in-between.

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
Man that is sweet. It's not the point of saving a few $$$ Jim, I want a true street truck. I've spent quite a bit on this L of mine and I'm spending a little more this week, and I see how far yours has taken you and it gives me hope with the MP. Scott that truck is going to be an animal. Same with you Chad.

Bob how's the L running?

Scott what would that 7.00 have translated to in the 1/4?

Thanks guys. Mike thanks for the pic's.

Users who are viewing this thread