Turbo Question?????

cobra0393

Established Member
I havent heard anything good SSautochrome. Go over to turbomustangs.com and ask around. I have a B&G turbo kit on my car and like it pretty well. Hellion makes very good kits and so does HP, but HPs customer service sucks. The good thing about hellion is their kits are on the shelf and ready to ship, but their about $2000 more than the B&G kits.

carguy19

Established Member
Im acually trying to decide between a vortech and a turbo, how do you guys like the turbo setup?

I want to leave the motor pretty much stock except for injectors and MAF and stuff. Everyone swears by blowers but arent turbos better as far as wear and tear and stuff?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
That SS auto chrome stuff isn't too bad at all.

As far as which is better, I'd really do some research and decide what's best for you. The power bands are completely different, and there are issues with both you have to consider. As far as reliability, I'd go turbo all the way.

My last '93 cobra was turbocharged, and it was mostly stock. I put 86,000 miles on the turbo system while on that car. On the stock engine with an F-cam I went 11.1 @ 126 on 16 psi (ARP head bolts too). With forged 8.5:1 pistons only, I went 10.55 @ 133 (21 psi, 622 rwh), and the rest of the engine was stock (except the cam). I do realize the block was on borrowed time, but I never had an issue.

My favorite thing about that car was how drivable it was, and how reliable it was. It was my daily driver. I've had two separate superchargers fail in the past, so I didn't want to have to deal with that.

I have similar plans for a turbo on my current '93, but I'm keeping it under 12 lbs.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
That SS auto chrome stuff isn't too bad at all.

As far as which is better, I'd really do some research and decide what's best for you. The power bands are completely different, and there are issues with both you have to consider. As far as reliability, I'd go turbo all the way.

My last '93 cobra was turbocharged, and it was mostly stock. I put 86,000 miles on the turbo system while on that car. On the stock engine with an F-cam I went 11.1 @ 126 on 16 psi (ARP head bolts too). With forged 8.5:1 pistons only, I went 10.55 @ 133 (21 psi, 622 rwh), and the rest of the engine was stock (except the cam). I do realize the block was on borrowed time, but I never had an issue.

My favorite thing about that car was how drivable it was, and how reliable it was. It was my daily driver. I've had two separate superchargers fail in the past, so I didn't want to have to deal with that.

I have similar plans for a turbo on my current '93, but I'm keeping it under 12 lbs.
How big was the turbo you where running and how much horsepower where you pushing?
I am seriously thinking it over now on buying the Hellion kit with the ballbearing t62 kit from them, its about 5k, and removing the crap Powerdyne.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
ok, so Im browsing through Hellions and HP performance's web pages...
which turbo is better?
HP's "Hybrid" (whatever that means) 60mm turbo kit
or
Hellions ball bearing 62mm turbo kit

Im seriously thinking of buying one of these kits...

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
I just email'd Hellion to get a quote on their kit. I think Im going to jump on it since I have been wanting to get rid of my Powerdyne anyway. Im thinking of going with the ball bearing T62 kit, minus the maf, fuel pump and injectors since I already have that or better.
Any tips or comments/opinions on extras to get? My friend has a turbo timer and boost controller on his car (Evo 8)... should I also have that on mine?
Im "new" on turbo systems, I have always been supercharged...

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The ball bearing kit is the way to go. It spools a lot faster than a bushing type turbo, and is more durable.

I was running a Turbonetics T70 at 21 lbs, and made 622 rwh 732 rwt.

I am in the process of turbocharging my new '93, and I'm going to be using a Precision T67 and the B&G piping, but I'm keeping boost under 12 lbs for now. There is nothing wrong with a 62-1, but I wanted a turbo with more capability for growth down the road. At my altitude, the turbo needs to be a bit bigger to stay efficient.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Fast93

HP 76GTS
Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
Whats wrong with the kit if you dont mind me asking?

You have to wait a really long time for the kit. Plus you have to cut some too. The quality isn't even that good. I am making a ton of power, but any turbo kit will do that.

Users who are viewing this thread