Turbo(s) VS supercharger

DaMuscleMan

Established Member
Just your thoughts and some facts on why one os better than the other... I have heard many things about both, many good, many bad... Which ones are going to be better for the engine? and how long will the enginge be good for (miles) with each?

just some things I was unsure about

Thx,
ty

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Neither are better or worse for the engine, everything is in the tune and how often you are under boost.

As far as why I prefer turbo's over superchargers is the lowend torque capability combined with the higher RPM flow rating. Can't beat the sound either. :thumbsup:

chknhwk

I like turbos because they are more efficient than superchargers and that equates to more power. I also feel they provide a little less stress on the main as there is no drive belt - that can suck up a lot of power once people upgrade to cogged belts and up the belt tension.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Originally posted by 99turbocobra
turbos!!! I am going to take my blower off and put a twin set up on.

Why go twin? Just put one turbo (i suggest the t-88) on and youll get more power.

As far as the thread goes, i'd take either one.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Turbos are the best power adder.They generate their own barometric pressure, so they run consistent no matter what the altitude and/or the humidity is. They do creat more torque than a centrifical SC, particularly down low. That power does come on fast also. They spool boost quicker than a centrifical SC that builds boost in relation to engine RPM. However, they do generate ALOT of heat. Yes you can buy heat shielding material, but the placement of the head unit can adversly effect some under the hood components. ProTurbo,for example, places the head unit almost against the driver's side PLASTIC valve cover. A heat shield will reduce the radiant heat yes. That will keep you from melting the valve cover. However, the heat from the turbo will still radiate to that head and valve train.

A properly located and plumbed turbo is still the best power adder. I'd say a Kenne Bell is a very close second only due to the extra added weight. Both make gobs of power quickly. Both make good high end HP, the turbo just has a little more potential in the upper range though. Particularly considering the larger head units available.

Wicked

Established Member
To me its obvious that turbos are far superior to sc's. I would have a turbo(s) if I could have afforded it. To me its a matter of how much you have to spend.

Its easier to have a mild turbo setup that will outpower a radical blown setup.

99turbocobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Scream'nCobra
Why go twin? Just put one turbo (i suggest the t-88) on and youll get more power.

As far as the thread goes, i'd take either one.

We put a T88 on my friend 01 cobra. Took it off and put a T76 on. T88 spool way to high. I want twin b/c I can spool them fast and still be able to make 800-1000 RWHP. Pluse it should cool to say I got twins.:fm:

Last edited:

Cobra4pt6

Banned
i'd go with a Turbo also........i wouldn't mind throwing a T-78 on mines w/an upgraded fuel system and built bottom end and a t-56

Users who are viewing this thread