Turbo Smart E-Boost 2 on Vortech or Paxton

Deerslayer

Established Member
Has anyone installed an electronic boost controller on a Centri setup that has a wastegate?

I have a Vortech V3 with a 3.33 pulley. I also have a Tial wastegate with the 10psi spring installed. Curious what the effect of adding an electronic boost control would be to this system.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
I honestly think that you might have a wastegate confused for a blow off valve.

Wastegates are on your exhaust side pre turbo to equilize pressure before and after the turbine housing. thus regulating the boost produced by the unit.

Blow Off Valves are mounted on your cold side between the compressor and the throttle body. They open when the throttle blade is closed to relieve pressure in the intake tract.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I honestly think that you might have a wastegate confused for a blow off valve.

Wastegates are on your exhaust side pre turbo to equilize pressure before and after the turbine housing. thus regulating the boost produced by the unit.

Blow Off Valves are mounted on your cold side between the compressor and the throttle body. They open when the throttle blade is closed to relieve pressure in the intake tract.
look up torque booster. I have a wastegate and bov on my procharger setup.

OP there is no reason it wouldnt be able to work on your car. Benefits are being able to adjust boost from the drivers seat and not having to change wastegate springs all the time.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Has anyone installed an electronic boost controller on a Centri setup that has a wastegate?

I have a Vortech V3 with a 3.33 pulley. I also have a Tial wastegate with the 10psi spring installed. Curious what the effect of adding an electronic boost control would be to this system.

Someone posted on here a while back that had done it. Why would you want to lower the boost?

Ortasscotty

Established Member
I would be interested in this because my v3 is my daily driver and my commuting tires aren't the greatest so you can have a low spring and not worry about losing traction if you get into boost. Also when you put your slicks or DRs on you can just hit the button and be ready to race without having to manually change springs

Deerslayer

Established Member
Eatonualive, LOL, I am not confusing the wastegate with my BOV. I have BOTH on this setup. Here is why I ask and my thoughts if I am understanding the operation of an electronic boost controller.
I have the 10lb spring in my wastegate. I believe the spring may slightly bleed up to when it opens and caps the boost off at 10psi. Reading it seems electronic boost controllers eliminate a lot of the bleed of the wastegate therefore boost would build somewhat quicker and not open until the desired psi.
Basically thinking the torque curve would be steeper and flatten off quick at peak boost.
That is if I understand how one works right.
There should be no reason why an adjustable boost controller wouldn't work on a centri setup that has an external wastegate. Really a Centri is just a belt driven turbo. Not as efficient as an exhaust driven turbo, but still a turbo. I too, like Ortasscotty, also wonder if there would be any advantages to being able to adjust the boost for economy and or performance. Slow306, I did and found you had mentioned it in the other post we both were on, but I cant find anything else. Since you have one on your setup, any advantages besides not having to change springs. I am guessing, I also thought if I used an EBC, I could put a stiffer spring in the wastegate and electronically cap it at 10psi.

Last edited:

92fiveohfox

Established Member
I don't think a lower psi will help with traction. Well maybe if you went really low like 5-6. Even with say 8lbs it's still not going to bleed off until after peak tq most likely and still lose traction. It may help a little.

Deerslayer

Established Member
Thanks 92. I like the idea of having some adjust ability. I am going to talk to Lund to get their take on what I would like to do. With the 3.33 pulley, I should be able to run a softer spring in the wastegate and control the boost with the controller.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
I have a manual boost controller and the lightest spring in my Tial wastegate. Mine is a custom set up for a baby P1SC1 HO ProCharger kit. I did it in attempts to control boost better and wanted a boost curve more like my single turbo cobra.

But I've discovered you'll never get the same exact boost curve because the belt driven centrifugal still builds boost in a linear fashion as rpm rises, where the turbo hits X amount of boost, the wastegate opens and the rpm of the turbo is then constant.

The control does allow me to lower and raise boost, and most boost controllers claim to make the wastegate react faster. If you think about it, a wastegate set at X psi begins to open well before it's full open setting. A solenoid or smaller manual controller has better ability to stay closed to it's set point, then open and send the full boost signal to the wastegate at one time.

Last edited:

northgacable

Established Member
I have one on my D1SC. It picked up torque down low for sure. You don't have to wait until 5k rpm to get set back anymore. The real reason I like it it to raise boost when I run VP C20. I can turn it up 2 lbs without popping the hood. Also, on my lowest setting it only makes about 6 lbs. Good for valet parking. That being said, I am still going to turbo/turbo's as soon as funds allow.

Users who are viewing this thread