Turbo went bad with only 600 miles

TRBO VNM

well bud, sorry about your bad luck. if I wanted just the 76 again I would have no issue going turbonetics, I guess I was a lucky one. and after putting 14k miles on it, then going into the wall and breaking the compressor housing, they replace it under warranty no questions asked within 2 weeks of sending it to them, hard for me to talk bad about them.

the only bad experience I have had is with 2 customers. 1 got the wrong size, but turbonetics honored their warranty at just a yr later and gave the guy the right size after he ran the piss out of the smaller turbo, no questions asked. just had to show proof of purchase. the other customer had to wait a lot longer than anyone else to get his turbo's, but I believe he still got them within the 6-8 weeks they quote.

my only beef personally is they need to change some things so they support more power like some of the other options out there.

at least now Mike, you have your replacement and making some killer changes to the setup that should net you some good gains. :beer:

Last edited:

geeteego

What???
Established Member
I can't agree more. I see it all the time, especially on this board, people upgrading stuff they don't need to upgrade because someone on the internet broke theirs.

And for the newer turbo peeps, turbo seals don't "blow", they simply wear out for one reason or another. It's basically a tiny metal piston ring. No "seals" in the traditional sense.

It's the same everywhere you go. Everyone wants the bigger, better deal. It's also generally associated with a lack of supporting information on why. Plus, you rarely hear good news in any specificity about items like turbos, other than "I made xxx to the wheels with my combo (meaning everything put in the car)". It gets particular when something goes wrong...ie "This damn CBB PT76GTS with a .96A/R housing won't spool for shiz".

Everybody breaks stuff...the harder you push, the more crap goes wrong. I had this discussion with my buddy, who stated his garage-kept, rarely driven 03 Whipple car "never breaks" vs my daily driven turbo LSx which is constantly a basket case. Of course not, silly...it never gets run! It's not to say there's no such thing as defective equipment, just that more commonly, the defect is elsewhere.

As far as blowing a seal on a turbo, it's just the effect of pushing oil past the seal for whatever reason...and do that a couple times and they won't seal up anymore. Just like piston rings, as said before.

JM$.02

PS: Shane, you and the wife need to come down for the Mustang/GTO deal on Nov 1st. Have her bring the Goat...LOL

Last edited:

Silverboost

Established Member
It's the same everywhere you go. Everyone wants the bigger, better deal. It's also generally associated with a lack of supporting information on why. Plus, you rarely hear good news in any specificity about items like turbos, other than "I made xxx to the wheels with my combo (meaning everything put in the car)". It gets particular when something goes wrong...ie "This damn CBB PT76GTS with a .96A/R housing won't spool for shiz".

Everybody breaks stuff...the harder you push, the more crap goes wrong. I had this discussion with my buddy, who stated his garage-kept, rarely driven 03 Whipple car "never breaks" vs my daily driven turbo LSx which is constantly a basket case. Of course not, silly...it never gets run! It's not to say there's no such thing as defective equipment, just that more commonly, the defect is elsewhere.

As far as blowing a seal on a turbo, it's just the effect of pushing oil past the seal for whatever reason...and do that a couple times and they won't seal up anymore. Just like piston rings, as said before.

JM$.02

PS: Shane, you and the wife need to come down for the Mustang/GTO deal on Nov 1st. Have her bring the Goat...LOL

I do agree that most issues derive from somewhere else. Example would be the axle half shafts breaking on these cars. It is not because the half shaft is week, but rather the poor engineering in the IRS itself causing wheel hop.

GeeTeeGo my statement in retrospect is inaccurate about your car breaking and mine not. I am sure that if I put as many miles on mine as you do I would be doing a lot of preventative maintenance. I believe that most of the issues you have had is due to working out the kinks in your setup. My setup is relatively basic from where I was at stock whereas your setup is on the extreme side from the factory setup. Now hurry up and get a beater car so I can run the Civic against it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread