turbo??

99turbocobra

Established Member
Hey i am new to this 4.6 motors. I have a 99 cobra with a vortech SQ blower. My mods are 03 cobra fully forged block, 03 cobra intake cams, spec III clutch. I am wanting to put a turbo on and take the blower off. My question is how hard would it be to turn the stock header around and use them? I did that on my 5.0 for a twin set up. Also do you think I will need a different K memeber to get the 3 inch downpipe though? Thanks.

99turbocobra

Established Member
I know you can put a turbo on a 4.6 pro turbo kits has one. I was just wondering what all had to be moved. I thought I might need a different k member but y the coil over conversion. If it get a kit through them they supply all that I think.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by 99turbocobra
I know you can put a turbo on a 4.6 pro turbo kits has one. I was just wondering what all had to be moved. I thought I might need a different k member but y the coil over conversion. If it get a kit through them they supply all that I think.

I was saying you can't to turn the header's around and use them. You need a tubular K-member because there simply isn't enough room to run any piping with the stock K-member. Most kits require you to move the powersteering reservoir.

Last edited:

SVTHorsnake

Banned
how's abouts you save yourself the time and money and buy yourself a P1-SC and that way you'll have your BOV and your Front mount... why else would you want a turbo???:shrug:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTHorsnake
how's abouts you save yourself the time and money and buy yourself a P1-SC and that way you'll have your BOV and your Front mount... why else would you want a turbo???:shrug:

Because they outflow centrifigual superchargers at lower RPM's, which equates to lowend torque and broader torque curve, which equates to quicker acceleration, which equates to handing people their ass'. :thumbsup: :coolman:

mikew1000

Established Member
The market for Turbo Cobra's is still new and it will take time to get a quality kit. I think no matter what company you choose you are probably going to have problems. Just make sure you are ready to invest the time and money into this before you order a kit.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by Booyah
Because they outflow centrifigual superchargers at lower RPM's, which equates to lowend torque and broader torque curve, which equates to quicker acceleration, which equates to handing people their ass'. :thumbsup: :coolman:

ah... well then, I could see why somebody would like to throw a turbo or two on their car...:rolling:

99turbocobra

Established Member
I was going to try to custom fab my kit. The on I had on the fox was a custom. who makes a good k member. I have a SQ blower now it make ok for power but I am so use to turbos.

mikew1000

Established Member
Asking who has the best K-member is like asking who has the best turbo or supercharger. You are going to get quite a few answers. Personally I have a D&D on my car and have had no problems. If my K-member was not included in the turbo kit I would have looked at Kenny Brown or Maximum motorsports. These are more expensive than the D&D so if you want a budget k-member the D&D should work fine.

One thing you do not want to do is use your stock struts with a coil over kit. I assume your 99 struts are the same as the 2001 and they do not work. They are a smaller diameter than the aluminum sleeve included in the coil over kit. I had to use duct tape to make up the difference and stop the clanking from the front end. I switched to the QA1's and love them.

Good luck with the custon job. I am not sure about your ability but it is going to be very involved project.

99turbocobra

Established Member
Maken the header and pipes will be no problem. I am a welder and were I work they through away a lot of small pipe that could be used for the turbo kit. The k member and coil might be a different story . I need more money. This project is not till a little ways down the road. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread