Turbonetics vs Precision on the dyno.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I had the regular 61mm Turbonetics that come with the Hellion kit on my car and had a ton of dyno pulls with them before KOTS. The seal took a shit on one of my turbos, so I sent them off to Turbonetics to be fixed and a friend in the middle of his HP twin build offered to let me use his twin Precision 6262's with anti surge housings, billet wheels, and ball bearings. So I wanted to throw them on and see how they compared.

Last night we threw the car on the dyno at Horsepower Solutions, where I have done all my dyno pulls and tuning to see how they would compare. I forgot my X-cal,so we only made 2 pulls on my low boost, pump-meth tune, which makes about 21.5#'s of boost. The dyno's analog boost sensor reads about .5# in atmosphere, so take that into consideration for peak boost #'s. I also have my Eboost2 set to start opening the waste gates at 14#'s to keep the power from hitting so hard, so it may not show a spool difference, if there is one, above 14#'s.

Here is the dyno graph from last night over layed on one of my previous Turbonetics pulls with similar boost and conditions. The Precisions are the Red graph.

precision2.jpg

No tuning changes were made, as it looked pretty solid, and close to the old pull. We were tld that the billet wheels wont really show themselves til we get up above 22#'s, so we should find out today when we turn the boost up.

Here is an old pic of the Turbonetics on the car.

0305092213a.jpg

DSC04430.jpg

Here are the Precisions.

DSC05676.jpg

I'll get a side shot of the precisions up tonight. The mid section is a about a .5" thicker, I'm guessing because of the Ball Bearings.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Well, I got to get some more dyno time last night. But it wasn't much. I wasn't paying for it, so I couldn't bitch too much. I only turned it up to about 23.5#'s. Just as a side note, the air was much much better last night than it was in September when the Turbonetics were dyno'd. The uncorrected number last night were awesome! About 40hp above corrected numbers!

Here are 6 graphs over each other. All the runs in the 80's are the Turbonetics, all the runs in the 90's are the Precisions. For some odd reason, run 97 spooled faster than all the rest, but I showed the other runs from last night to show it was kind of an anomaly.

sixgraphs.jpg

Here are the 2 runs closest in boost and AFR together. I had one turbonetics pull with a little closer boost, but the AFR was much fatter, so I used these for a closer comparison. I have all the DRF files if anyone wants them also.

twographs.jpg

After we were done with these pulls, we turned the boost back down to just over 22#'s and were able to smooth the AFR out a bit more, and put the AFR down to about 10.0, so it's nice and safe for the track rental I'm going to on the 19th.

Greg@RET

Established Member
Sorry if I am confused. Is run # 84 Turbonetics and run # 97 Precision? You cant really compare the two since the a/f is so different. I know run #97 if leaned out correctly from 3.2k to 6k would be all over the other one. Look how it reacts from 4.5 to 5.5k

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Sorry if I am confused. Is run # 84 Turbonetics and run # 97 Precision? You cant really compare the two since the a/f is so different. I know run #97 if leaned out correctly from 3.2k to 6k would be all over the other one. Look how it reacts from 4.5 to 5.5k

Yes, the pulls in the 80's are Turonetics, and 90's are Precisions.

The Turbonetics pulls were from when the car was being tuned, so it's hard to get two exact conditions. Here is a pull fattened up last night compared to the Turbonetics pulls.

2moregraphs.jpg

Greg@RET

Established Member
You can tell run #101 spools up faster and is making more power through the curve, the problem is its way too fat. You can tell the a/f is going real fat at 5100, thats why that bump is there. Also on a turbo 1# can make 20-30 HP.

Pull 10% - 15% all the way across at WOT and I bet it wakes up huge :rockon:

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
Dude, looks like you gotta go return style to get rid of those spikes man. And you need to get that a/f up into the 10's or 11's range. I mean that will help with overall power but the added fuel is helping the spool though. But lean it out up top at least!!!

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
You can tell run #101 spools up faster and is making more power through the curve, the problem is its way too fat. You can tell the a/f is going real fat at 5100, thats why that bump is there. Also on a turbo 1# can make 20-30 HP.

Pull 10% - 15% all the way across at WOT and I bet it wakes up huge :rockon:
We were playing with the AFR and it really didn't effect power by more than a few HP. My tuner said since we are using meth, we need to target 10.3-10.5 AFR since meth has a lower stoich. Here is a graph with some of the pulls he was playing with the AFR. Yous can see it didn't change power much being leaner.
finalpulls.jpg

Dude, looks like you gotta go return style to get rid of those spikes man. And you need to get that a/f up into the 10's or 11's range. I mean that will help with overall power but the added fuel is helping the spool though. But lean it out up top at least!!!

Ya, the 3 GT pumps and MDM are making a nice flat AFR kind of hard to get. My tuner was messing with Voltage to the pumps and something with the injectors also, I didn't really watch him too close. Like I said above, with the meth we are targeting 10.3-10.5 AFR, and since we are on an unloaded Dynojet, the car seems to run a little leaner on the street than on the dyno, that's why we left it even lower than 10.3.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
wow, this is interesting... i guess im keeping my trusty old turbonetics 61's lol. Shane, do you have cams other than stock in the motor?

Users who are viewing this thread