Turn Over Engine Without Starting

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
If the weather cooperates and we get some rain, I am planning to get my Mach out of the garage for the first time since November. Is it true that you can basically push the gas pedal all the way down and then crank the car? My understanding is that this will turn off the injectors and allow the engine to turnover without starting. I just was hoping to move some oil around before actually running the car.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
That is correct. WOT pedal at start turns off injectors.

However this is more than excessive preparation for a 5mo span. There is still sufficient film on all the surfaces and by the time the engine fires up you would have created ample pressure to the journals/bearings. It only takes a few rotations of the crank and oil pump to pressurize and send oil to all the bearing surfaces. IIRC on my car (4g63) it was the 4th full rotation and oil was already getting up to the head and coming out of the cam journals.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Will this work with older fox body Mustangs. I'm afraid to try it on my 1988 5.0.

Try it and find out.

Worst case as it starts it immediately revs up and you take your foot off the gas, you might rev up to 3k before you realize it started and that method doesnt work.

Users who are viewing this thread