• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Twin Disc Clutch Recomendations...

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by SmoknCobra03, Apr 29, 2008.

1. 2bscrewed

2bscrewed Full Retard Established Member

Jared, thanks for the input in threads like this! Mauro @ Vitale Motorsports will be ordering a Mcleod RXT for me from you in about a week. Thanks again.

2. black03

black03 Authorized Vendor Authorized Vendor

Awesome man. You'll be very happy with the Mcleod. Mario Vitale is a great shop to do the install as well. Good peeps. Are you going to the race with them this weekend? He'll be rocking the Lethal Performance decals on his front bumper. If you go tell him I said whats up and snap some pics of our decals on the car.

Thanks, Jared

3. 2bscrewed

Ya, My car is there now. We are putting a built motor and Hellion tt kit on the car, so throwing the clutch on is gonna be a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the work! haha
    I have family coming to town, so I will only be going up for eliminations on Sunday. I will get some good pics for you.

4. Sniperdog

Sniperdog Less than Premium Member Established Member

subscribing :)

5. 03Cobrra

03Cobrra Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed Established Member

+1 ...interested in this mcleod twin disc

6. Red99SVT

Red99SVT New Member Established Member

What about the GT500 twin disc?

7. 19COBRA93

19COBRA93 Tire shredder Established Member

I too am curious about this as I have one sitting in a box.

8. Silverboost

Silverboost Well-Known Member Established Member

what all is needed to install the GT500 twin disk on an 03/04 Cobra? What's the going rate for one as well?

9. 2bscrewed

Jared, did you get my email of the pics?

10. black03

black03 Authorized Vendor Authorized Vendor

I did..

Thank you so much for helping out. They came out great and we'll be using them on the site if that's ok with you.

Thanks again.

Jared

11. 2bscrewed

Absolutely, I'm glad they turned out decent with just a point and shoot.

12. DUMBASS

DUMBASS Banned

i just smoked my second RAM Street Dual in less than 5 months. the car has only seen about 2500 miles this year. both were installed in shops. they were both the 1000 hp version. I am not a happy camper. For 1200 bucks a poece they should last longer than they have been. the 2nd clutch has never seen the track at all.

13. Jerryk

Jerryk Halfshaft abuser Established Member

Nice... You paid ANOTHER $1200 for the clutch? I would think RAM would warranty some portion since its not even being used to its potential? How much power is your car putting down, what rear gear adn what tires are you running? I haven't taken mine in yet, too busy, but the TO bearing is acting like a mouse and the tranny makes lotsa bad noises so it all has to be gone through.. again. I was going to push RAM to see what they'd do for me because the original price was near $1800 w/ the input shaft etc..

14. sd04cobra

sd04cobra Member Established Member

Can anyone answer this question?

I test drove a GT500 this weekend and the clutch is about 20% pedal effort compared to my 04 cobra (stock clutch). Actually, its almost as easy as my Focus. Is this difference due to the change to the dual clutch or possibly something else such as new hydraulic system, etc?

My leg would really appreciate any info regarding this, thanks all in advance.

15. PistolWhip

PistolWhip Resident Man Dime Established Member

You can't go by pedal effort in an actual GT500. They use a hydrolic slave cylinder rather than a cable. The GT500 clutch in a Terminator is going to be stiffer due to the cable friction.
    Other than that, I'm curious as to what's needed as well. I know it's an 11" clutch and I'm pretty sure it's also 26 spline.

16. mmustangsrus

mmustangsrus boost makes daddy happy Established Member

awesome sounds like the mcleod is for me :beer:

17. 2bscrewed

I got about a weeks worth of normal driving on my Mcleod RXT and I'm very surprised at how amazingly light the pedal is, and how well it engages. I can't wait til I can beat on it.

18. FlaSeaDude

FlaSeaDude Building a Perfect Beast Established Member

One year later and my opinion has changed. The clutch still engages smoothly and seems to be able to handle the additional power and torque of the Whipple. However, the chattering sound (sounds like marbles rolling around in a tin can) when the clutch pedal is pressed down is downright aggravating and annoying. :cuss:

I'm leaning toward a Spec dual-disc as a replacement, but am wanting feedback on the other brands that are being installed...:beer:

19. RKWFord

RKWFord New Member Established Member

What alldo you have to do to getthe ram to work right? I have been having hell with mine. About to pull the tranny forthe 4th time. It won't disengage the 2nd disk. I have adjusted it as much as you can either direction. The weird thing is that my friend has the exact same setup in his 03 & it works flawless. His motor is out of his car right now. so we put the trannys side by side. The pivot balls, retainer sleeves, & everything are Identical. What is the reason for mine not working right?

20. red92

red92 Never To Fast Established Member

I see everyone likes the normal names out there but I installed an Advanced Clutch Technologies (ACT) twin disc and it is GREAT! No problems what’s so ever, engages beautiful, it's rebuild able and comes with the flywheel already balanced. The guys there are really cool and have been around for years (mostly high horse power imports) but they are getting into the domestic scene more and more. I recommend them 100%. Good luck on your choice.