Twin screw Lysolm or IRS?

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Since I can't start a new poll, I'll start a new discussion.

What would you prefer to keep on the car:
a Twin-Screw blower (vs an Eaton) or an Independant rear?

Since it seems Ford is cutting both (for various reasons), I thought this could be a worthwhile discussion.
Me? I would take the twin screw. I'm not going to tour with the SCCA with this thing, but I like a broad torque band and the ability to mod for massive h.p. (I know I'll get bashed from the IRS guys, but hey, that's how I feel).

Opinions? Comments???

01L2Cobra

Banned
The IRS is No.2 on my list. Any car can be made to go fast so power is lower on my list. No. 1 is the car needs to lose some F*ing weight, at 2 tons with a driver it’s the heaviest Mustang ever.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Well... since weight is #1 on your list... you'd better add the Twin Screw to your choice... cuz no way in hell the IRS is gonna 'weigh less' than the Live Axle. :beer:

Oh me... I'm for the Twin Screw. :banana:

01L2Cobra

Banned
Dave Schotz said:
Well... since weight is #1 on your list... you'd better add the Twin Screw to your choice... cuz no way in hell the IRS is gonna 'weigh less' than the Live Axle. :beer:
Actually the IRS has less unsprung weight than the SRA plus it is harder to make a SRA corner correctly than a proper IRS. As for power read my quote below.
01L2Cobra said:
Any car can be made to go fast so power is lower on my list.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Yes, any car can be made to go fast. However, depending on the car it can take more and more $$$ to do it. Also, you're neglecting the fact that we're looking at a car (GT500) with this much power AND the factory warranty. You road race your car, so I presume you don't really care about that. Most of us _do_.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
01L2Cobra... I raced an '01 Cobra... and I used to 'quote' the 'unsprung weight' quote as well...

Unfortunately... you still have to STOP all that WEIGHT no matter where it is... and you have to 'ACCELERATE IT'... down the STRAIGHTS...

Unfortunately... you would be quicker if your car had a LIVE AXLE! Since the 'WEAK POINT' of an SN-95 Chassis... isn't the REAR... it's GETTING THE FRONT TO TURN! ;)

Dave

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
The IRS is No.2 on my list. Any car can be made to go fast so power is lower on my list. No. 1 is the car needs to lose some F*ing weight, at 2 tons with a driver it’s the heaviest Mustang ever.

Kind of funny that the heaviest of the "big" Mustangs, the 71's to 73's came in under 3500 lbs. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread