TwinTurbo GT350? Yes Plz.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
You're reading it backwards. Torque is falling at 5500, HP is flat lining. The scales are different on either side of the graph, makes looking at it screwy.

Torque is typically the higher number until they cross at 5750 (iirc) then HP is higher/climbing

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Wow. That was a ramble on my part. Deleted for everyone's sanity

Last edited:

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Holy shit. That's awesome, and very impressive. It's also made me giddy as hell because my build made 713whp and 630wtq at 9.5psi on a break in tune cutting off at 6700 (was still building power)

Not to hijack the thread in the slightest, just having a momentary fascination with the similarities of this voodoo's turbo results and my combos eerily similar results. We know a good bit about the voodoo, and essentially, my combo is a hci 9.3/1 modular 5.3 build with 62's. It surprises me that it's about bang on with a 5.2 twin 55's combo. I'm sure 61's on a voodoo would be up 100whp vs my mill. On my end, I do have another thousand rpm in my powerband as well, plus I was on a mild break in tune, but I'd bet a voodoo fed by 62's would register 30-50whp more than my combo all things being 10/10ths/ full rpm ranges.

The interesting thing to me, comparing dyno graphs, is power production. While the voodoo mill revs cleanly clear to 8200rpm, it is actually making slightly more low end torque than my combo made, even with mine being a 5.3. My combo doesn't have the dramatic jump from 3-4000rpms, but smoothly builds from a hair sooner than the voodoos jump to a hair after its jump. About 3300-4500 on mine vs 3500-4200 on the voodoo.

-at 2000rpm, mine made 220wtq, the voodoo shows 225wtq.
-at 3000rpm, mine made 300wtq, the voodoo shows ~325wtq.
-at 4000rpm, mine made 495wtq, the voodoo made 565wtq
-at 5000rpm, mine made 630wtq, the voodoo made 635wtq

Weirdly, at 5252, mine made 620whp/wtq, the voodoo made 620whp/wtq. Very surprising given compression, flow, and dynamic differences from firing order, valve design, head flow etc. I think the 62's are simply flowing far more air than the 55's are. I'm 100% sure that has to be the case.

At 6500rpm, my combo made 713whp, and the voodoo made 713whp as well. My dyno pull ended at 6700 and was a break in tune with 10.8-11.0 AF, 12-16* of timing, and relatively safe perimeters on 91 octane, through tail pipes, and resonators. I'm trying to think of other variables at play. My cams are degreed pretty epicly to be honest, I'm sure that's part of it.

I'm honestly suprised and impressed at how closely my combo, modular firing order, stage 3 head/cam, fr500c intake, [email protected]/1 with 62's compares to a voodoo powerband with 55's like we see here. I wish I had more tech savvy to really offer some insight on the factors like valve shrouding, dynamic compression, etc that are obviously at play. Obviously, the modular architecture is becoming antiquated, just interesting that it can be worked over pretty dramatically still.

Anyone have any additional thoughts/inputs on what variables are at play that led to such similar powerbands from such different engines?

Holy hijack!! Lol

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Holy hijack!! Lol

After looking at that mess I posted, unintended hijack is bad. I deleted my post. I might post up a discussion in the gt350 section of modular and voodoo architecture for some light to heavy discussion.

Last edited:

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
After looking at that mess I posted, unintended hijack is bad. I deleted my post. I might post up a discussion in the gt350 section of modular and voodoo architecture for some light to heavy discussion.

i don't think that was a hijack at all. i was actually interested to see the difference between the 5.2 voodoo and a 5.3 bb/s legacy modular motor.

you said fr500c intake. are you running ford GT heads?? it seems the coyote style motors use a similar head design as the ford gt heads on a 4.6 block. larger port volume, intake ports further apart for a better short turn to the valve, etc. i've heard 4.6 heads on a bb/s motor are undersized, even if they are ported.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
i don't think that was a hijack at all. i was actually interested to see the difference between the 5.2 voodoo and a 5.3 bb/s legacy modular motor.

you said fr500c intake. are you running ford GT heads?? it seems the coyote style motors use a similar head design as the ford gt heads on a 4.6 block. larger port volume, intake ports further apart for a better short turn to the valve, etc. i've heard 4.6 heads on a bb/s motor are undersized, even if they are ported.

I am with a stage 3 port, and custom cams.

Based on what I've found by looking up various aspects, a relatively fully built modular bbs 5.3 has the same power production potential as a stock voodoo mill from about 4500-7500rpm.

Here's the kicker, below 4500, the voodoo is much torquier than a built modular. Even with the voodoo's "vtec" jump around 3500, it's actually still stronger below 3500 by a good margin, and from 4500 onward, it takes a perfectly sorted modular to even stand a comparable chance. Very few fully built modular a have crested 465whp convincingly, let alone 505+whp, which to be honest, you do have to compare a bolt on gt350 to a fully built modular because 30-50whp of those 500+who modulars performance is from those types of mods alone.

I'm interested to see where a fully built 13/1 e85 voodoo mill with mild head work, custom cams, and 9500rpms will end up. I say 575-600whp. Na. Crazy stuff... Almost Ferrari like NA power. Ford performance, SVT and all this guys and gals have built something megalithic to wrench on.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
I am with a stage 3 port, and custom cams.

Based on what I've found by looking up various aspects, a relatively fully built modular bbs 5.3 has the same power production potential as a stock voodoo mill from about 4500-7500rpm.

Here's the kicker, below 4500, the voodoo is much torquier than a built modular. Even with the voodoo's "vtec" jump around 3500, it's actually still stronger below 3500 by a good margin, and from 4500 onward, it takes a perfectly sorted modular to even stand a comparable chance. Very few fully built modular a have crested 465whp convincingly, let alone 505+whp, which to be honest, you do have to compare a bolt on gt350 to a fully built modular because 30-50whp of those 500+who modulars performance is from those types of mods alone.

I'm interested to see where a fully built 13/1 e85 voodoo mill with mild head work, custom cams, and 9500rpms will end up. I say 575-600whp. Na. Crazy stuff... Almost Ferrari like NA power. Ford performance, SVT and all this guys and gals have built something megalithic to wrench on.

good points. would the internals of the gt350 even stand up to that kind of abuse? it's not a built motor, is it?

Users who are viewing this thread