Two New '03 Cobra TSB's--Pull and Misfire

mosconiac

Established Member
My '03 went in this week for "the pull" (car pulls moderately to the right on flat surfaces, pulls hard right on crowned roads) and "the misfire" (rough idle and stumble at mid-rpm's).

SVT told me that I had fouled cats and that the pull can be corrected with enough effort (getting the alignment within spec is not sufficient, it must be tweaked).

The dealer found two new TSB's addressing these issues and is following them to repair my '03.

Pull: The TSB reads that the rear, upper strut mount must be adjusted to eliminate a mis-alignment of the rear end.

Misfire: The TSB reads that the plugs are fouled at the factory due to excessive idling.

I do not have the TSB #'s for each of these, but someone with the resources can determine them for us.

I can not report that either TSB has been successful as my '03 still sits at the dealer waiting on spark plugs! I'll let you know Monday or Tuesday.

Good luck, Mosconiac

Gatorac

Established Member
ull: The TSB reads that the rear, upper strut mount must be adjusted to eliminate a mis-alignment of the rear end.

Getting the specs that they recommend to align it to would be big help. For those who want to do it themselves or tell our alignment guy where to set it. I'm sure there are some dealers out there that don't have a clue either.

03DOHC

Established Member
I don't think there are TSB's regarding those issues you stated. There are Broadcast Messages on them, but I haven't seen any TSB's.

There is a new Broadcast Message/Special Service message about stalling on deceleration though.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC

There is a new Broadcast Message/Special Service message about stalling on deceleration though.

03DOHC, can you tell us any other Broadcast Message\ Special Service message that may be of note? I know you are very informed and have been of great help in the past so anything here would be appreciated. If you cannot post it can you send it to my email at [email protected].

I got my car back today for the new ds and it now runs great no VIBE (knock on wood).

BUT, they left a piece of paper (pp 3 of 4) in the car that has special services message written all over it specifically numbers: 208999, 702100 (which is all highlighted up) and 702300. What are on the other 3 pages?

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
my car has stalled 2 times on decelleration directly following a cold start and the first acceleration. It hasn't happened in almost a month though.

What does the Broadcast Message/Special Service message say?

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by byevette

03DOHC, can you tell us any other Broadcast Message\ Special Service message that may be of note? I know you are very informed and have been of great help in the past so anything here would be appreciated. If you cannot post it can you send it to my email at [email protected].

I got my car back today for the new ds and it now runs great no VIBE (knock on wood).

BUT, they left a piece of paper (pp 3 of 4) in the car that has special services message written all over it specifically numbers: 208999, 702100 (which is all highlighted up) and 702300. What are on the other 3 pages?
Related thread here-->TSB and Broadcast Message Post

Glad you got your vibe fixed!

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
my car has stalled 2 times on decelleration directly following a cold start and the first acceleration. It hasn't happened in almost a month though.

What does the Broadcast Message/Special Service message say?
It says they know about it but don't have a fix yet.

mosconiac

Established Member
My dealer completed their work on the pull and misfire per the SSM's (not TSB's as earlier reported).

PULL:
Good news, my '03 is MUCH improved as far as pull goes, so the rear, upper strut mount may have been the problem after all.

On crowned surfaces, it fades in the direction of the crown (to the left on the left side of the road and to the right on the right side of the road). It still fades a bit harder to the right...is the right side of a four-lane road crowned a bit more to encourage water to move to the ditch, not the median??

Anyway, my '03 fades to the left in the left lane which it did not do before. I think I'm to the point that the wide tires really are the primary cause of wandering, not an alignment issue.

MISFIRE:
The new spark plugs really woke up the Cobra. Much smoother off idle on up, more SOTP power and no hesitation between shifts.

Unfortunately, I still have idle issues. The rpm's dropped right to 500-600rpms at the FIRST stop light and the rough idle reared its ugly head. Oh well, the spark plugs fixed most of the problems.

BTW, the dealer claims they checked the cats, but found nothing wrong. Am I in for it down the road, since the plugs were fouling for the first 3500miles and presumably dumping unburnt fuel into the cats?

I suggest everyone that experiences any hesitation/rough operation or the pull to take their '03 in and have the above work done.

Mosconiac

Users who are viewing this thread