Two tickets, one day GA and NC

bluestreak89

Established Member
Got a 103 in a 65 in Ga, is it customary for an officer to just give everybody the same speed if he cant radar each person.

Also in NC is it against safety for the officer to show you the radar gun, the guy refused to show it.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
As for NC, I think its basically up the officer as to whether or not he chooses to show the radar. As a side note: It should be worthy to mention that right now, the NCSHP is conducting "Operation: Yellow Jacket" in various metro areas of the state and along busy corridors. Using LIDAR, they are aggressively going after excessive speeders in the WORK ZONES...and you may not see them before its too late due to their techniques in the work zones. However, according to the news, they look to be only targeting the worst offenders such as those going 15 mph over or more. According to what I heard, yesterday's big winner was a 96 in a 55 with a $350+ citation.

jshen

Established Member
Ga

Your really lucky you didn't get arrested at that speed. To answer your question, it will be up to the officer to properly lay the foundation for his radar case. Among the predicate questions, he will have to testify that he obtained a speed on your car. If a group of you were traveling at the same speed I see nothing wrong. Also, in GA, an officer can cite you for speeding based on his "opinion" as to your speed. All he has to do is articulate why his opinion should be accepted. I routinely charge speeding based upon 40-6-180, in addition to the radar case. Two speedings but judge can punish for only one. I would ask the officer: number of years as officer, number of citations for speeding, traffic schools completed, experience running radar, etc. Then I ask if he has ever seen a car speeding, formulated an opinion as to the speed, and confirmed his opinion by then looking at radar readout....By the time we go through pre-court discussion, the officer can easily make out his case even if there is a problem with admissibility of the radar itself.

bluestreak89

Established Member
jshen said:
Your really lucky you didn't get arrested at that speed. To answer your question, it will be up to the officer to properly lay the foundation for his radar case. Among the predicate questions, he will have to testify that he obtained a speed on your car. If a group of you were traveling at the same speed I see nothing wrong. Also, in GA, an officer can cite you for speeding based on his "opinion" as to your speed. All he has to do is articulate why his opinion should be accepted. I routinely charge speeding based upon 40-6-180, in addition to the radar case. Two speedings but judge can punish for only one. I would ask the officer: number of years as officer, number of citations for speeding, traffic schools completed, experience running radar, etc. Then I ask if he has ever seen a car speeding, formulated an opinion as to the speed, and confirmed his opinion by then looking at radar readout....By the time we go through pre-court discussion, the officer can easily make out his case even if there is a problem with admissibility of the radar itself.
Thanks guys. In the process of finding a traffic lawyer for Ga.

Users who are viewing this thread