Two WV. State Policemen killed on duty

WVFord

Established Member
One of the troopers involved in a shootout that killed his partner, the suspect, and injured two others has passed away.

The West Virginia State Police announced that Trooper Eric Workman has died. He's been at the Charleston Area Medical Center since Tuesday.

"Trooper Workman was an outstanding young man with a promising future," said Colonel C. R. "Jay" Smithers in a press release. "It is unfortunate his life was cut short by this senseless and cowardly act. Our prayers continue to be with his family and friends. I am overwhelmed by the support the West Virginia State Police family is receiving during this difficult time."

According to the State Police, Cpl. Marshall Lee Bailey and Workman pulled over Luke Baber Tuesday, Aug. 28, after dispatcher's received a call about an erratic driver.

Bailey and Workman arrested Baber and put him in the back seat of their cruiser. While waiting on a tow truck, Baber, who was handcuffed in the front, took a hidden handgun and shot both troopers. William Massey with King's Wrecker Service was also shot by Baber, who then fled the scene.

Deputies with the Roane and Clay County Sheriff's Departments tracked down Baber. Roane Co. Deputy John Westfall exchanged fire with Baber, killing the suspect.

Workman joined the State Police in 2011. He started at the Grantsville Detachment before transferring to the Clay Detachment. Funeral arrangements have not been set. He is an organ donor.

"I met with Trooper Workman's family earlier this week, and I can honestly say without a doubt, West Virginia lost a very brave young man this afternoon," said Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin. "Joanne and I have held this family and the entire West Virginia State Police family in our prayers, and we will continue to pray for them in the days ahead. May God bless the men and women who wear the uniform and whose mission it is to protect us all."

A fund has been set up by the West Virginia Trooper's Association. Donations can be made to the Fallen Trooper fund through PayPal at West Virginia Troopers Association - Headquarters in Charleston, West Virginia. Check's can be sent to the Trooper's Association at 210 Chesapeake Ave., Charleston, WV 25311, or call (304) 345-9884 for more information.

Please remember these men and their families

Thank You

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I feel sorry for the officers, but it sounds like piss poor police work to me. Cuffed in front and not searched, sloppy work that won't bite you in the ass 99.9% of the time. Bad luck to be in the .1%.

usmc320

Established Member
Very sad. Everybody makes mistakes. My prayers go out to the troopers families.

My department didn't allow cuffing in the front.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Very sad indeed. My brother is a MD state trooper and he attended the funeral yesterday. Makes you stop and take time to appreciate life.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Sad sad day. Prayers go out to the families. Is there a link to the original news story? Did the suspect have any kind of criminal history?

I agree with the above comment though; don't get complacent or careless. Handcuff in the rear at all times(Unless its not feasible) and conduct thorough searches. I've been guilty of a bad search before for sure. Stories like these make me think twice any time I put someone behind me in my cruiser nowadays

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Read up on this a little more. The suspect shot both troopers in the back of the head while sitting in the back of the cruiser. At least they killed him and no tax dollars will be wasted on that POS.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
The funeral for the second officer is today. RIP Trooper Workman.

Users who are viewing this thread