TX LEO's or FordSVTFan

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
I am asking this for a friend. She would like to know if a redlight camera ticket will add any points to her record?
Thanks.
Jake

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
Nope....can't prove that the owner of the vehicle was the actual one driving the vehicle at the time.
Her face comes out damn clear in the picture. And I'm sure plenty of people have tried that excuse of them not driving the vehicle. It's a $75 fine she doesnt mind paying just that she doesnt want it to affect the points.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Running a red light is a moving violation. A moving violation conviction will effect your driving record to the cost of two points. A $75 dollar fine is cheap. It normally runs twice that! She may want to call the court and pose that question.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Nope....can't prove that the owner of the vehicle was the actual one driving the vehicle at the time.

Running a red light is a moving violation. A moving violation conviction will effect your driving record to the cost of two points. A $75 dollar fine is cheap. It normally runs twice that! She may want to call the court and pose that question.

This has been brought up before. If the red light camera only catches the plate, it is going to be a non-moving violation. In some jurisdictions the red light camera shoots from multiple angles including a drivers photo. If the photo clearly identifies the driver, then points will be assessed as a moving violation. It is defined by statute in most states.

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Thank god Virginia does not have these things anymore...we (LEOS) were going to AI over stupid stuff.

However, I read the Texas code on this and I'm a little confused..and mybe you can define it better Iceman.

Here's the code:

§ 544.012. NOTIFICATION OF PHOTOGRAPHIC TRAFFIC
MONITORING SYSTEM. (a) In this section:
(1) "Photographic traffic monitoring system" means a
system that:
(A) consists of a camera and vehicle sensor
installed to work in conjunction with an electrically operated
traffic-control signal; and
(B) is capable of producing one or more recorded
images that depict the license plate attached to a motor vehicle
that is not operated in compliance with the instructions of the
traffic-control signal.

Now my question is....does each municipality have different laws on this device??? Or is this state code used??

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I asked one of my local judges and he advises it is a civil issue, no points are assessed. This is probably why the fine is only $75.00.

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
Thanks Mike. Sorry its just that I was looking for a more clear answer than yours. Didnt mean to offend you. Just that Adam knows his stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread