Typical gains with Kooks 1 3/4" headers...

bunk22

Established Member
...and x-pipe with cats? Having mine installed on Tues/Wed, along with a Steeda axle back. I've seen at least one shop results but average joe results, search came up with some stuff but curious for more.

termie2590

Established Member
I did kooks longtubes and catted x , on a local mustang dyno that reads rather low and i have the peak numbers on my phone but i know it was almost 20 at the wheels in the upper middle 5300? but with cai , tune and gt 500 muffs my peak was 358.4 and after the header swap it was 372.8. I dont know where my sheets are but i can read the peak #s on my phone. i know my numbers seem low but it is an auto and this was done in third gear (not locked in fourth) and before headers it did run a 13.09 at 109 on a 4400 da evening but i have not been to a track yet this year so no current numbers yet. hope this helps!

scotmach

Established Member
I did kooks mid lengths and catted x , on a local mustang dyno that reads rather low and i have the peak numbers on my phone but i know it was almost 20 at the wheels in the upper middle 5300? but with cai , tune and gt 500 muffs my peak was 358.4 and after the header swap it was 372.8. I dont know where my sheets are but i can read the peak #s on my phone. i know my numbers seem low but it is an auto and this was done in third gear (not locked in fourth) and before headers it did run a 13.09 at 109 on a 4400 da evening but i have not been to a track yet this year so no current numbers yet. hope this helps!
Fixed it for you.

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
Can somebody explain the difference between 1 7/8 and 1/34 tube headers? Why choose one over the other?

byeofcr

Established Member
I asked the sams thing and was told unless your laying down big numbers or boost by blower you dont need 1 7/8. But i like most people because we always want everything bigger

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
Pretty much every before / after dyno test of NA GT with ARH or Kooks headers I've seen used 1 7/8:shrug:...I honestly don't believe I've ever seen a magazine or internet forum test of 1 3/4 headers.

twistedneck

Established Member
I asked the sams thing and was told unless your laying down big numbers or boost by blower you dont need 1 7/8. But i like most people because we always want everything bigger

Plenty of write ups on 1-3/4" not only that most of the 6.2L GM aftermarkets are still 1-3/4". i agree given the choice for race car i'd go big but now that i'm stuck with 1-3/4" and read every study under the sun there simply is minimal difference. not even the theory about low torque gains with the smaller pipes holds up.

looks like with our engine 1-3/4" is already more than enough diameter if you have a well designed collector.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Well, I heard Kooks isn't doing 1 7/8ths anymore because of fitment issues. Don't know if it's true or not, but that's what I heard. I went with the 1 3/4.

Users who are viewing this thread