typical leak down result for a Term.?

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
hey guys i cant seem to find good results of a typical leak down test for a 03-04 cobra. anyone know? i know general "rules of thumb" but wanted more exact numbers for our cars.
thanks. :beer:

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
nobody knows?????

ok well then ill post the results :p
engine warm, not full operating temp
cyl. # 1 -4%
#2 -9%
#3 -8%
#4 -3%
#5 -14% leaking through exhaust valve(s)
#6 -6%
#7 -8%
#8 -4%
all in all not bad except #5 obviously. i just dont have anything to compare to though. im thinking burnt valve but anyone have any ideas :shrug:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I've dabbled several times with compression tests Bryan, but not leak down tests. I'd be interested also in an analysis of your results.

Wiseguy

Established Member
one burnt valve seems likely or not seating. No specs but I don't like anything over or close to 10% Didn't you just buy the cobra. The crank didn't move right? Good luck

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
no the crank didnt move, i tried it several times with several different degrees of TDC for that cyl. with engine cold it was 15% warm was 14%. and very audible through the exhaust. theres definetly something going on there.

borascopes are EXPENSIVE! :(

MikeW

Established Member
Would a burnt valve be cause for a rebuild or can jus tthe heads be rebuilt? Or is it best it you are going to have the heads off to slap new slugs in there too?

Good luck 93Cobra Let us know what you find out. I'm trying to get a leakdown test done soon just to see where I'm at.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
You can just repair the head if that is all that's wrong. I'm to lazy to try, but if someone wants to, I'd be willing to offer my car as a baseline. It's still compeltely stock as far as the engine is concerned and I rarely floor it. It should still have good numbers to compare against.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
my thoughts on the results:
after thinking about it all day. theres definetly something going on in cyl.#5 with the exhaust valves, wether or not its "in spec." or not doesnt really matter at this point. ford wont touch it, im sure of that. and im not gonna pull the head just yet because of 14% leak down. i would say the rest of the cylinders are a good example of a baseline ie. no more than 10%. i think if i keep the car. ill eventually wanna put new pistons in just for peace of mind, hopefully BEFORE it blows. of course ill be doing the work myself and so ill address the #5 issue at that time, if theres anything to address. -burnt valve, valve guide wearing, weak spring, whatever.
ughh its always something.

hmm maybe i could see the valve by taking off the drivers side header, like maybe when i make my own and install the head cooling mod?
anyone know if its overly hard getting the header out? :shrug:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I can tell you that you won't be able to see in there unless you lift the motor some....I wasn't there to pull the stockers, but I can tell you I spent a fair amount of time cussing Prasad putting the new ones on.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
FISHTAIL said:
I can tell you that you won't be able to see in there unless you lift the motor some....I wasn't there to pull the stockers, but I can tell you I spent a fair amount of time cussing Prasad putting the new ones on.

you dont think even with a mirror and flash light?
dam that sucks was almost a good idea :kaboom:

Users who are viewing this thread