Tyre punctures

BAS

Established Member
Over the last month (500 miles max), I have collected three tacks in my tyres... Ok, so I agree the goodyears are pants, but really? Is this a coincidence...

My tyre man says that one contributing factor may be that the rubber is so soft it collects this stuff.

Are you guys, who are still sporting GY, collecting tacks and nails as quick?

yma4ypu8.jpg

MNCobra

Established Member
i have seen many threads saying the GY pick up rocks and other stuff very easy so I would guess its common

Mackey

Established Member
I had to fill the front right tire this week with air. All others were fine. I am going to inspect it next week before I drive it.

These tires are extremely soft and will pick up and throw rocks.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Had this problem as well. I picked up 3 screws in the first three months I owned the car. I was on the buy 3 get one free plan at sts for tire patches lol.

ryan319

Established Member
i don't think the stickiness or softness of the tires has anything to do with nail punctures. debris on the road has everything to do with tire punctures.

BAS

Established Member
Is "pants" good or bad? I have not picked up anything in my tires.

"Pants" is an British slang term for "not very good"... Although, when you get the GYs hot they are functional.

I collected this chunk of metal on the way home from a puncture repair so I was not happy. I pulled the thorn out and all is OK.

Finally I have found a supplier of PSS tyres in Aus... So I intend to burn through these GY's quick now.

mtrsprt

Established Member
When you run bologna skins like that, with basically zero tread, you are going to be at the mercy of puncturing road debris.

qachargh

Established Member
I got a nail in my right front about 2 weeks after I got the tire. The pressure is still good and the head of the nail has been completely worn off. I'm going to do my level best not to replace one tire and just wait until I can do Super Sports.

Helleanor

Established Member
I hope this is the correct forum for my post. I'm being told by multiple sources that a puncture in the GY Eagle Supercar G:2, which comes stock on the 2013-2014 GT500, no matter where on the tread, it has to be replaced and can not be repaired. GY, and the Ford dealership, both said they don't want to be held liable if the tire were to come apart at the 183+ Y rated spec.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I hope this is the correct forum for my post. I'm being told by multiple sources that a puncture in the GY Eagle Supercar G:2, which comes stock on the 2013-2014 GT500, no matter where on the tread, it has to be replaced and can not be repaired. GY, and the Ford dealership, both said they don't want to be held liable if the tire were to come apart at the 183+ Y rated spec.

Not correct. I had mine repaired at Tire Rack, and a Good Year engineer happened to be there. He stated as long as the puncture was on the tread, (not the side-wall), and is was plugged AND patched, there would be no problem.

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
With tires maybe 2x as wide as say a Ford Focus I'd think you'd have 2x the probability to pick stuff up due to the additional width. Likewise a 335 Rear hits even more road debris.

carguy19

Established Member
If a tire like the GY tires on our car has a nail that is plugged or patched. It completely loses its speed rating anytime its repaired. Thats why most places will not plug or patch a z rated tire, especially when the car will be driven aggressively. Also if you go to the track ever, patches and plugs are STRICTLY prohibited by tech inspections (you shouldnt attempt to drive the car on the track anyway with a repaired tire)

I wouldnt plug or patch a tire on my GT500... my daily driver that I commute @ 40-50mph and less into NYC yes, but not the car that I drive when I deliberately want to go fast. Not risking a blowout or flat or worse at high speed.

I recommend you guys not risking it either. Just my 2c

Users who are viewing this thread