u grading the Mach 460

avro206

Established Member
Ok so I want to get a better quality stereo in my 97 Cobra. My 04 Grand Am and the wifes 2013 Dodge Caravan sound way better. I want blu-tooth and streaming capability

I am thinking of a staged approach. Do the head unit and the 4 speakers first and later the tweeters and add a sub and amp.

The Mach460 seems a bit complex.....can I add the head unti and use the exsisting wires for the speakers? Will the tweeters still work?

I don't want the stock size either but was thinking 6.5" component speakers.

Any thoughts/advice?

Last edited:

cobrarob2345

Established Member
THe speakers are fine u just need to add a sub and amp I am running an aftermarket amp to my speakers too a kicker i believe. For a dvd screen go double din and do a console out of 2001 to 04

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Junk the Mach 460 stuff. Maybe you can find somebody wanting to swap to the Mach stuff and make a little bit of cash.

I junked all the 46 stuff in my convertible. I went with a Pioneer AVHP4200 HU, Infinity Kappa Components, Diamond Audio subs and amps. I plan on ditching the Infinity Components for Hertz. I plan on a similar setup in my Cobra.

cobrarob2345

Established Member
honestly the speakers are decent as long as they are not blown. I would go the most cost effective way which would be just adding a sub amp and deck. It sounds good

Cowtown

Established Member
I recently put in a Pioneer head unit with no CD, works really well. I put it in with a standard metso install kit without the rca adapters and after some fiddling it sounds pretty good considering. To accent, but by nowhere near necessary I also added an old MtX sub amp and a 10" MtX radiator style enclosure. Puts out some nice complimenting bass without a lot of bulk/space.

Keep the changes simple otherwise you'll basically be ripping it all out and rewiring.

Shawn

Martin6107

Established Member
Mach 460 Needs a Sub

The Mach 460 setup has pretty good mid and high frequency response but needs a sub to fill in the low end. It is fairy simple to add an aftermarket head unit into the existing system then connect a sub with RCA cables. I've got an 8 inch sub in the trunk of my convertible being driven by an old Alpine amp that was just laying around the house. The combination works pretty well. If you want something that will really shake the windows, you are better off junking the Mach stuff and custom wiring a component system in.

avro206

Established Member
The Mach 460 setup has pretty good mid and high frequency response but needs a sub to fill in the low end. It is fairy simple to add an aftermarket head unit into the existing system then connect a sub with RCA cables. I've got an 8 inch sub in the trunk of my convertible being driven by an old Alpine amp that was just laying around the house. The combination works pretty well. If you want something that will really shake the windows, you are better off junking the Mach stuff and custom wiring a component system in.

well as long as aI can get a deck with blu tooth.streaming and upgrade the 4 speakers that will do for this year.

I just wanted to know if it's all plug and play with no hassles.

Some time later a sub and amp and tweets.

Cowtown

Established Member
Basically useless to try and add a sub/amp to the existing Mach system correct?

Yes, from all the research I did before that'd probably leave you pretty sad. Head units are fairly cheap these days and the metso wiring harness makes the cabling easy so for the $100-150 it'll just save your sanity adding a sub/amp and likely provide way more functionality anyways.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Ya that's what my research has told me as well. Too bad cause I actually really like the look of the stock console/head unit combo.

shurur

Established Member
Question: what is so different in the 01+ radio/upper vent bezel? Most of the difference is the area around the shifter bezel and center (shifter) console..no?

MysticChaos

Established Member
ffc4f8e921e335af7d0df273c9749479.jpg
2001-2004 bezel
b8f53a51265e964a8ea1d61ce15983e7.jpg
1994-2000 bezel.

mustang3X

Established Member
I just wanted to know if it's all plug and play with no hassles.

Yes it is, I installed a pioneer head unit and everything else is stock. Changed out all the bulbs to LED at the same time.

For the open area where the old CD player was I used the OEM Ford storage tray. It was actually made with some thought, unlike those POS metra ones. The Ford tray has a huge opening and small rubber mat on the bottom to keep stuff from sliding around. And the plastic and grain pattern are the same as the surrounding bezel.

It wasn't cheap at $75 but totally worth it.

I don't really care about audio so have no plans to change out the stock speakers and amps but the factory head units really do suck so those had to go.

Tantrix

Established Member
Whatever you do, don't just replace the head unit and speakers and think it's done right. The Mach 460 system isn't "complex", but it is proprietary. I'd suggest what someone else said and scrap the entire system.

Last edited:

avro206

Established Member
Whatever you do, don't just replace the head unit and speakers and think it's done right. The Mach 460 system isn't "complex", but it is proprietary. I'd suggest what someone else said and scrap the entire system.

no I wouldn't think it's done right. But slightly better, for now. As I said, this is a staged project. As I can afford and spread out over time.

avro206

Established Member
Yes it is, I installed a pioneer head unit and everything else is stock. Changed out all the bulbs to LED at the same time.

For the open area where the old CD player was I used the OEM Ford storage tray. It was actually made with some thought, unlike those POS metra ones. The Ford tray has a huge opening and small rubber mat on the bottom to keep stuff from sliding around. And the plastic and grain pattern are the same as the surrounding bezel.

It wasn't cheap at $75 but totally worth it.

I don't really care about audio so have no plans to change out the stock speakers and amps but the factory head units really do suck so those had to go.

can you take a picture? You don't have a part number do you? I wonder if I can find it on ebay.....

Users who are viewing this thread