UCA too long?

bslaw83

Established Member
Recently added BMR's UCA and UCA mount to my setup. I had been running the double adjustable spherical LCAs and relocation brackets for a couple of months with no issues. Since the addition of the UCA, it's been one thing after another though. Random creaks, squeaks, and other random noises. I have messed with the pinion angle a couple of times, but to no avail of solving my recurring issues.

So my question is, is it possible to get a -1 to -2 pinion angle, but the UCA actually be set too long? The numbers I'm ending up with are positive 4 on the drive shaft, & 2 on the yoke, which is how I'm coming out to -2. I followed all of BMR's install specs, so I'm really at a loss. Thoughts?

evil281

Established Member
How long is the uca eye to eye right now? They suggested a starting point of like 9.5" or something on their website video, I didnt have to adjust a whole lot past that to get the right angle.

Also did you go with the spherical upper as well? They are going to be more noisy than stock for sure.

Did you use upper or lower hole on the mount side and how low are you? What springs?

bslaw83

Established Member
How long is the uca eye to eye right now? They suggested a starting point of like 9.5" or something on their website video, I didnt have to adjust a whole lot past that to get the right angle.

Also did you go with the spherical upper as well? They are going to be more noisy than stock for sure.

Did you use upper or lower hole on the mount side and how low are you? What springs?

I don't know how long it is right now. I'll have to measure tonight.

I went with the poly upper. Not real sure why, just did. Lapse in judgement, maybe? lol This noise is more than just spherical bearings. It's a lot of creaking when I hit my brakes.

Lower hole and sportline springs.

evil281

Established Member
Maybe bmr can chime in but I believe the lower hole is for factory ride height. That might play a role in the noise. I have the bmr 1.5" springs and kelly recommended the upper hole.

Also I have the poly bushing too. Did you apply grease to the face of the bushing and add grease using the grease zerk?

Lastly did you torq to spec while under full suspension load?

I would definitely start with using the correct hole on the braket though, call bmr and they will recommend the best setup.

Last edited:

bslaw83

Established Member
Maybe bmr can chime in but I believe the lower hole is for factory ride height. That might play a role in the noise. I have the bmr 1.5" springs and kelly recommended the upper hole.

Also I have the poly bushing too. Did you apply grease to the face of the bushing and add grease using the grease zerk?

Lastly did you torq to spec while under full suspension load?

I would definitely start with using the correct hole on the braket though, call bmr and they will recommend the best setup.

I took everything apart today and retorqued. Seemed to be a significant difference on the test drive.

I was in the upper hole. I mis-spoke earlier. Sorry about that. Everything is now torqued to spec while loaded. I have a couple of weeks before I can get under her again, so I will run with it for a while and see if things are better.

ExTurbo

Established Member
I took everything apart today and retorqued. Seemed to be a significant difference on the test drive.

I was in the upper hole. I mis-spoke earlier. Sorry about that. Everything is now torqued to spec while loaded. I have a couple of weeks before I can get under her again, so I will run with it for a while and see if things are better.

I have a similar setup (1" drop on P springs, LCA relo brackets and the BMR poly upper) The UCA was backed almost all the way down to nothing. Someone more qualified than me will step in hopefully but it sounds like your pinion angle is within spec. I had a lot of creaking initially, but once the grease worked its way in its quiet as can be. my gears are making more noise but that's to be expected apparently. give it a week or so, if you greased it properly it should quiet down soon enough

BMR Tech

If the grease is distributed through the bushing (IE: enough grease was used, and there is more than 50 miles on the car) then any noises will likely be due to the installation.

As for the length, our UCA will adjust to OEM length at 9.5"...and will shorten up approx. 1/2" to about 9"....but will lengthen substantially, up to 10"+

There is never a reason that you should run out of adjustment on our UCA for the S197, assuming the part is built correctly and the parts are being used in setting the car/angles up correctly.

I am honestly not sure what this means "the angles are set per BMR, but the arm is too long"

If you can clarify your concerns, I should be able to assist you more accurately.

Thanks

Last edited:

bslaw83

Established Member
If the grease is distributed through the bushing (IE: enough grease was used, and there is more than 50 miles on the car) then any noises will likely be due to the installation.

As for the length, our UCA will adjust to OEM length at 9.5"...and will shorten up approx. 1/2" to about 9"....but will lengthen substantially, up to 10"+

There is never a reason that you should run out of adjustment on our UCA for the S197, assuming the part is built correctly and the parts are being used in setting the car/angles up correctly.

I am honestly not sure what this means "the angles are set per BMR, but the arm is too long"

If you can clarify your concerns, I should be able to assist you more accurately.

Thanks

Well, I didn't actually say the arm was too long. Just asking if it could be since I've never dealt with a upper control arm before. The noise while driving is gone now, it's just when braking that I'm hearing an odd noise. It could be the spherical LCA's, I'm not entirely sure, but I'm leaning away from this since it just started when I installed the UCA. I read on another forum of a member having the same issue and he fixed it by shortening his UCA. He said his springs were rubbing the body when he was braking because it was too long.

Users who are viewing this thread