UCL Injury - Tommy John

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Curious if anyone here has undergone the procedure to repair a torn UCL.

I’m not a professional baseball player, but I absolutely still love chucking baseballs with my kids, in softball, pitching at practices etc…

I’m 39, and sometime last summer I started feeling tightness and pain in my throwing elbow. Noticeable velocity drop as well. (73 to 58, again, not professional) It’s pretty constant now. Not life changing but definitely affects my confort levels.

I’m going to speak with my primary care physician about getting an MRI done, but even if I find it’s torn, I don’t know if it’s worth the cost/time/rehab.

Thoughts? Experiences?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
First step is to get it diagnosed, of course. And they likely won't start off with an MRI. They will do an Xray and then put you on anti inflammatories to see if it clears up. If still bothering you after 4 weeks or so, they will then authorized an MRI.

Does it hurt when throwing only, or all the time?

Apparently the TJ surgery is a very successful surgery and they keep making refinements to it. This assumes it the UCL.

I'm not a doctor, but had similar pain like that when throwing with the kids during their seasons. Always went away after I let it rest or quit trying to be Nolan Ryan. Learned some much better mechanics and that helped me a ton as far as tossing BP and all that.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
First step is to get it diagnosed, of course. And they likely won't start off with an MRI. They will do an Xray and then put you on anti inflammatories to see if it clears up. If still bothering you after 4 weeks or so, they will then authorized an MRI.

Does it hurt when throwing only, or all the time?

Apparently the TJ surgery is a very successful surgery and they keep making refinements to it. This assumes it the UCL.

I'm not a doctor, but had similar pain like that when throwing with the kids during their seasons. Always went away after I let it rest or quit trying to be Nolan Ryan. Learned some much better mechanics and that helped me a ton as far as tossing BP and all that.

Used to just be when throwing, and even that was hit or miss depending on weather, warmup, usage etc…

Pain since last fall has been much more regular. Again, not unbearable but a constant discomfort.

Ever reach up to a trucks windshield and try to scrape the ice? That’s not happening anymore. Hurts and I’m too weak in that lateral motion.

I’m not super confident in anti inflammatory meds working, but well see. I tried staying pretty regular on ibuprofen over the winter while avoiding throwing motions. Didn’t seem to help much.

Worst part is how far out every doctor office is nowadays. Sucks to have to wait 3 months to even get in.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Worst part is how far out every doctor office is nowadays. Sucks to have to wait 3 months to even get in.
Does your Doc have a Nurse Practitioner on their staff??? My PCP was booked out for 9 months but her NP was only 6 weeks I believe. I actually like that dude better anyways so I will be sticking with him.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Hopefully there's a non surgical solution for you. I'd suggest learning to throw with your off hand until then. Does your regular job have repetitive motion in that arm?

Throwing as hard as you were (for an, ahem, mature) individual, if proper technique isn't there, that could certainly cause issues.

My son's pitching/hitting coach is still throwing regularly into the 80's, and he's 52. It can be done but technique has to be there. If you've never had any technique eval, it's a good possibility you were damaging it without knowing it, especially if throwing a curve.

Keep us updated on what you fine out, hopefully it's just some tendonitis of some type, but I have a feeling there's some damage with it lasting as long as it has.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Does your Doc have a Nurse Practitioner on their staff??? My PCP was booked out for 9 months but her NP was only 6 weeks I believe. I actually like that dude better anyways so I will be sticking with him.

I’d have to check. I’m perfectly fine seeing either, especially as mentioned above that an initial visit might just be prescribing something and waiting to see if it improves. My wife is an NP, and as usual, she says I’m exaggerating. Shocker.
Hopefully there's a non surgical solution for you. I'd suggest learning to throw with your off hand until then. Does your regular job have repetitive motion in that arm?

Throwing as hard as you were (for an, ahem, mature) individual, if proper technique isn't there, that could certainly cause issues.

My son's pitching/hitting coach is still throwing regularly into the 80's, and he's 52. It can be done but technique has to be there. If you've never had any technique eval, it's a good possibility you were damaging it without knowing it, especially if throwing a curve.

Keep us updated on what you fine out, hopefully it's just some tendonitis of some type, but I have a feeling there's some damage with it lasting as long as it has.
Work is generally not too physically demanding. The only issues I run into there is digging in railroad ballast. I’ve already made a conscientious effort to use more feet and less violent digging.

Never been an off speed dude. Ball never moved and I didn’t want to hurt myself. 80s at 52 is still throwing pretty good gas. I never got over 80-82 even in my (ahem) prime.

On a side note, played in an adult wood-bat tournament right when this starting hurting. Hadn’t faced live pitching since 2003. Facing low 80s gas after 20 years was wild haha

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
That had to be fun lol. I never even played. Just a "student" of the game. Learned a ton more while my son was playing his fourteen years worth. Also had his pitching coach throw me some while I was standing at the plate. He was in the high 80's/low 90's at that time. Good times. Aaron Small, who played for the Yankees a couple of years and minors for most of his career. He does hold a record with the Yankees for most wins in a row or something like that. He still pitches in their "old timers" games I think.

Our son was in the mid 80's with pretty good slider and movement on all his pitches. However, RH pitchers in the mid 80's are a dime a dozen. He had some interest in some D3 schools, but chose the academic route. He's a Mechanical Engineer now.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
On a side note, played in an adult wood-bat tournament right when this starting hurting. Hadn’t faced live pitching since 2003. Facing low 80s gas after 20 years was wild haha
Yea I got in a batting cage after about 16 years and couldnt even see a 70mph ball anymore, was not happy with that piece of humble pie. Best of luck, hope you get your shoulder sorted out.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I can barely see gun sites now. Everything is either too close to too far away. Can't imagine trying to pick up spin on a ball LOL.

First game I looked pretty poor at the plate. Broke a bat, whiffed on a garbage curve, and watched a garbage curve. Much better in the field with a horizontal lay out over my shoulder. Thudded a little harder than I used to though.

Second game I hit the ball. One hard, but right at someone. I recommend finding a tournament or even a league somewhere. It was a great time.

Not being able to pitch at least a few innings was a huge let down.

Users who are viewing this thread