UCoat It

Evan5469

Established Member
I'm finally going to coat the dirty garage floor and have a UCoat It with Flek kit on the way. Has anyone ever used there stuff or a kit similar? I think I've got the basic process down but does anyone have any tips? Just trying to see how tough of a project I've got ahead of me. I'm going to try to take pics of the progress from beginning to end but probably won't start the coating until the weather stays above 60.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have a used several products over the years. The most recent was a kit from Lowes. It worked very well for the $. The kit cost $75 and includes enough paint to do a large one car garage. It also has the acid etcher/cleaner in the kit. If your garage floor is old, it would be a good idea to use a strong degreaser first. The kit also includes the flakes.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
After you clean the concrete, be sure to LET IT DRY. Most of the failures are due to the installer not letting the concrete air out long enough and then coating while moisture is deep in the concrete. Concrete sucks up water like you wouldn't believe. Once it tops up, you get peeling.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
We did it to our garage when it was built. Works awesome, and other than the one spot where I did a burnout, has held up great.

Evan5469

Established Member
I appreciate all the tips so far everyone. I definitely have some oil stains to degrease and generally clean the floor itself because it's in rough shape. The coating should really brighten up the whole garage though because right now it's a dull, worn, very dark gray concrete now. Once I get started I'll update this thread and post some pics of the before, during, and after process.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I used it on mine and worked great. Then I put in the lift a few months after and it just can't hold up. Yes, used the clear coat for hot tire pickup, etc. It seems to be fine for casual use, but if you really use your garage, even with weekly mopping, etc. it just doesn't hold up. It seems to even wear around the areas where the lift isn't but not as fast. I really loved the product and the look initially though. If you're careful you may have better luck.

With that said, the process wasn't bad on our little 24x32. Followed the directions to a "T" and went great.

I rarely use the garage anymore other than oil changes on our cars and occasional repair on family and friends so the floor doesn't get much care like it used to anymore.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Let me know how it goes. I was going to but, heard all the horror stories so, decided I'd do Race Deck eventually.

I'm going to go Racedeck eventually as well. Only downside I hear long term is the clackety noise. I don't mind that. :beer:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Here's right after I did it in early 2005:
UCoatit.JPG

hoghunter

Get The Phone
Established Member
Evan,

I have done this to my gargae floor and it made a world of difference. It depends on how much $$ you want to spend but for less than $100 it was a no brainer for me. Definately wait for warmer temps. My floor was relatively clean and I skipped the cleaning part. I did mop it real good to get rid of any fine dust/particles. Let it dry completely. Don't take chances here. It sounds as if your floor is a bit dirty so I would not skip the cleaning part in your case. Once prepped, it was so stupid easy I was done in a couple of hours and it looked great. Still does. I do wish I would have clear coated it after I was done but like I said, it still looks great and, for the money, you will enjoy the look. One suggestion I have, and this is a personal thing, I bought 2-3 extra bags of the flake that you sprinkle on the floor as I just think it looks better when using more of the flake than the little bag that they give you. Proper preparation of the surface is the key here...

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Clean any of your oil / grease spots with this stuff. It works amazingly well. Pulls the oil and grease out of the concrete. A solvent base cleaner will dilute the oil or grease and make it soak deeper into the concrete and eventually you'll have problems with the paint sticking in those areas.

As a matter of opinion I like a solid color and don't really like the colored flakes. My friends shop has black,dark grey,, and rust brown flakes in the paint and it can be a bitch when you drop small hardware and have to find it.

Evan5469

Established Member
UPDATE - Was able to get the first bond coat on last night and just finished up the top coat with the flakes. It has to dry for another 12 hours before I can do the last, clear, coat.

First coat
32af3ffa.gif

Second coat with the flakes
31da04f1.gif

a465888f.gif

Evan5469

Established Member
***UPDATE***

Put the gloss coat on today so I now I just need to play the waiting game until I can move stuff back. UCoat It says to wait 12 hours before putting light stuff on it, 3 days for heavier items and 7-10 days before you should park a car on it. So it looks like the Cobra will be seeing the outdoors for the next week or so. After everything is moved back, then I'll be able to move everything from the other side of the garage and get that side done as well.

Overall I've been very impressed with the UCoat It system and their customer service has been fantastic, answering every single one of my questions, no matter how dumb they may have been. I would highly recommend their product to anyone who is considering this. I'll also have to see how well it holds up over the next few months and years.

80ec6790.gif

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
I wanted to do this but just thought between all the prep and stuff I'd have to take off a week of work and put everything outside for awhile. I may do RaceDeck but, I sure like the looks of yours!

Evan5469

Established Member
I wanted to do this but just thought between all the prep and stuff I'd have to take off a week of work and put everything outside for awhile. I may do RaceDeck but, I sure like the looks of yours!

Yea it's definitely a lot of prep work/dry time before it's all said and done. The RaceDeck stuff is really nice though and you can take it up easily if you don't like it or want to change the look. Thanks for the compliment though, I can't wait to be able to put stuff back and bring the Cobra back inside :thumbsup:.

Users who are viewing this thread