Uggh - razor sharp curb ruined tire/damaged wheel

500_man

Established Member
DSCF2656.jpg

DSCF2657.jpg

I feel sick to my stomach - car is only 3 months old. DD has a little "S" curve in their drive-through and I hugged the "S" shape too closely :nonono:

Not even sure where to start getting this fixed as it just happened 1/2 hour ago. Any suggestions? I can't think right now.:(

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd look for a suitable rim replacement in the bone yard. I'd toss the tire too. I wouldn't trust the sidewall after something like that.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Buy a new wheel and tire. Look for someone who is selling a line wheel. Shouldnt be too bad

500_man

Established Member
$800 - $1300 for a used rim & new tire is not exactly comforting - especially after what I shelled out just 3 mo ago. Uggh.

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
You're out of a tire...... But, that rim can be repaired pretty easily. I had a guy do mine down here in Florida only cost $65 and he paint matched perfectly and you can't even tell. They fill it in with this hardening clay like stuff and then paint over it once that is dry. look for a wheel repair guy in your area.

500_man

Established Member
You're out of a tire...... But, that rim can be repaired pretty easily. I had a guy do mine down here in Florida only cost $65 and he paint matched perfectly and you can't even tell. They fill it in with this hardening clay like stuff and then paint over it once that is dry. look for a wheel repair guy in your area.

I'm looking into that now. Place will do it for $150 here.

sikryd

Established Member

^ This

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
For that price just get it off eBay. Getting the wheel fixed is going difficult if you want an exact match. By the time you get a new tire the price will be so close it will be worth it to hey a scratch free wheel. It your car, do what you want

mullens

Established Member
Did the same thing to my rim. Had a shop out here in Vegas repair it. I was a little skeptical but it came out like new. Cost me $85. Well worth it. I wouldn't put out the money for an new rim unless it was bent or damaged beyond repair.
This rim looked like yours only a little worse..
001-2.gif

Last edited:

500_man

Established Member

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Yea I went back and looked more into it. Keep checking classifieds on multiple forums

wrc7732

03 SB SVT Cobra
Established Member
Get it repaired. The good places cost a little more, but they add metal (not clay) back to the rim, rework the lip on a lathe, and then refinish the face as good as new. I've had this done on several cars that I've picked up with banged up wheels and been very happy with the result. About $150 should see you good as new as far as the wheel goes. The tire cost will depend on what you replace it with. They can also measure whether or not you bent it at the same time, and repair that. But considering you were just rolling round a drive through, I doubt that you did anymore than cosmetic damage.

Sucks that it happened though. I know the feeling. Not fun.

Last edited:

wrc7732

03 SB SVT Cobra
Established Member
Looking at that tire, I'd say there was something sticking out of the curb that gashed it like that. Have you considered filing a complaint to the property owner to see if they'll cover it? Or at the very least, repair the curb so that it doesn't happen to someone else.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member

500_man

Established Member
Thanks for the info/advice. I did find as place up the street that has good reviews - gonna do that (& they are a little more $).

OK, so now I go to take the wheel off and I'm stumped. Information in the manual says to put jack at cut out. OK, but this car doesn't come with a jack and my floor jack that I've been using to repair my 3 other cars doesn't fit under the rocker. OK, if I lift the car a little it does, but now I don't know where to put it and I don't' want metal on metal, nevermind having the high point on the circular lift tray denting the bottom of my new car. This sucks. I wonder if I can take that part off the floor jack and put something there that will work on the pinch weld. Maybe a V-block from my milling machine - dunno - gonna try that. Did I mention that this sucks?

500_man

Established Member
Nevermind, got it off - just happen to have a 1/2" thick, 1" wide yellow pine (pressure treated) block I could place between the pinch weld and flat top of jack without tray.

I thought this was true, but only the rim guard was cut - didn't get close to the belts. Some tire repair cement slid in there on paper and a few minutes of clamping and it's hardly noticeable and I can't break the bond. On to the wheel repair guy...

Last edited:

500_man

Established Member
Oh, jeez $195 + 18 to remount tire + it takes 2 weeks. I guess hypersilver is a new/more involved process for these people and they charge more for it. Glad it's not the middle of summer! He says wheel will look brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread