Ugly

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
I can deal with the ecoboost but the IRS is not what I was hoping for

I think I'd rather have a V8 GT with IRS than an Ecoboost with an LRA. Especially since a strengthened IRS will give you everything you need whereas a boosted V6 is still a V6...

Too many of you guys have fantasy ideas of what cars were like back in the 60s. I was there most were crap compared to today's cars. I wouldn't drive a 60s Mustang today a Taurus will run circles around it hell a Fusion is probably faster certainly faster than the common straight 6 Mustang.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the 60's mustangs. I don't know where you got that idea. But, for the sake of argument, of course a modern day Taurus would run circles around a 60's straight 6 Stang. Who in their right mind would argue that point? The only way to go is to use what we're learned over the years to build better motors, suspension, etc for our old cars. How many guys do you see out there bragging about how much power their '68 Fastback with a stock 289 is putting down?

The smaller engine Mustangs always outsell the v8's. It sucks, but Ford makes way more money and sells way more base Mustangs than GT's. As much as we hate it, we're still the minority.
As far as trying to make the Mustang a competitor to BMW, there's no way in hell Ford is gonna try that. That's not a race they're gonna win, just like BMW isn't trying to build anything to compete with Mustangs. I don't really care if Ford puts a 1.6 liter in the base Mustang, as long as there's still a high-powered option like a GT500.

You're right, the smaller engine Mustangs have almost always sold better. It's an economical thing. Most people want the styling of the Mustang but don't care about power or paying for the gas of a V8 so the much less expensive V6 is an excellent option for them. Ford will never again drop the small motor base model from their lineup.
As for the competition with BMW, the Boss LS is pretty damn good competitor. Hell I wouldn't be surprised that if they had put an IRS in that car it would have walked the M3 on Laguna Seca.
I sort of agree with you on your last point. Who cares what they put in the base model. People who want a Muscle Car (or a Pony Car 908ssp, if you still want to be technical) will never have to worry about what the base model is; we just want a V8. However, if you're only concerned about having a top trim V8 in the lineup then a vast majority of the potential buyers have no chance of owning a new Mustang. I'm 23. Can I afford a new GT? Yes. Can I afford a new GT-500? Not even close. Would I ever buy a 6 cyl Mustang? Not a chance in hell! Therefore anyone like myself would be excluded from purchasing a new Mustang.

Performance wise the 11-13 GT puts up a really good fight against the M3, and then there is the Boss. Now for a total package the M3 is certainly the better car but still, in the numbers the mustang is a competitor.
Ehh the GT would get wrecked against the M3. The boss does better. The real competitor is the LS. But let BMW put out a car comparably priced to even the GT and it would get destroyed. The Mustang is a much better bang for your buck for sure.

Last edited:

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Performance wise the 11-13 GT puts up a really good fight against the M3, and then there is the Boss. Now for a total package the M3 is certainly the better car but still, in the numbers the mustang is a competitor.

If you're looking at strictly track and acceleration numbers, a Boss may seem like it would smack an M3, but it's the little things that Ford overlooks to keep the costs down. I had an 08 335, and that car was by far the best car I've ever driven for 30k. Was it faster than my 03 Cobra? No. Did it sound better? No. But it did everything amazingly well, just not mindblowing in any particular area. That, to me, is what bmw is all about. They give you the perfect balance of everything. With that said, I'd still rather have a Cobra or GT500, just because nothing sounds better than a Mustang v8 with some blower whine, and having acceleration that will flat out scare people. I never had half the fun in the bmw that I did in the Cobra. At high speed, a high end bmw will feel a thousand times more stable though. I took my 335 up to 130, and it was like riding on glass and still tracked perfectly straight. I can't say the same for the Cobra.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Ehh the GT would get wrecked against the M3. The boss does better. The real competitor is the LS. But let BMW put out a car comparably priced to even the GT and it would get destroyed. The Mustang is a much better bang for your buck for sure.

Have you been living under a rock? Performance wise/numbers, GT = M3... BMW should be ashamed.

paynecasey

Established Member
Goddamn Europe... :fm:

Unfortunately though, I'm sure the 4 cyl will do well over there; maybe here too. As I stated in a previous thread, it's only a matter of time before we see a diesel Mustang in the European market.

I'm looking forward to the 2.0 ecoboost. Because it weighs less and I want handling. I want Boss like or better handling. Plus you can always add boost.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
The Mustang is not and was not a MUSCLE CAR. It was a pony car and except for a couple years in the early 70s small light and agile were as important as the big engine.

Precisely. Ford's "Muscle Cars" were Fairlanes, Torinos and Galaxies. The Mustang created the entire Ponycar genre.

I am open to see what this offers. I think a 4 banger turbo done up as an SVO, and nodding to that heritage, would be great. Of course, I am a big SVO fan and have owned three...and looking for another.

Mike

White608

Go faster
Established Member
from that pic in the link it looks like shit, I sure as hell wouldn't buy a V-6 mustang

The govt. is fcking up everything with there BS mpg standards too ...

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The govt. is fcking up everything with there BS mpg standards too ...

I agree and disagree at the same time. On one hand I'm not a fan of government trying to interject themselves into the free market because if anything consumers should be the ones driving car companies to create more gas sippers. However, the results have been pretty nice. The 5.0 gets about 26 mpg on the highway and the 6 cylinder gets 31 mpg. Plus there should be some level of regulation especially with safety standards and for the most part emissions.

HPRacing

SVTP Lurker
Established Member
I don't think the EcoBoost V6 would be a bad option at all, but it would be too close to the V8 to make sense, prob why they are going with the EB 4cyl. My wife's DD is the SHO, it's no slouch for the weight of the car, pretty fun. Drop it in the Mustang with about 500+ less pounds, and it would be pretty sporty. Livernois has done some impressive work tuning the EB engines. I recall them having a video of the SHO (w/tune) beating a stockish 5.0. But again I don't think Ford will offer it because it will be too close to the V8.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I don't think the EcoBoost V6 would be a bad option at all, but it would be too close to the V8 to make sense, prob why they are going with the EB 4cyl. My wife's DD is the SHO, it's no slouch for the weight of the car, pretty fun. Drop it in the Mustang with about 500+ less pounds, and it would be pretty sporty. Livernois has done some impressive work tuning the EB engines. I recall them having a video of the SHO (w/tune) beating a stockish 5.0. But again I don't think Ford will offer it because it will be too close to the V8.

Unless the V8 gets a power bump to at least 440hp. With DI I could see the current 5.0 getting a little bump in power and a small increase in mpg.

Overboost.

Established Member
Don't expect it to get DI for 2015. Probably not until later on, like '17 or '18 MY.

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
That car is SEXY! IMHO!

Picture this design with 650HP...... The aero benefits alone will be huge to performance!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread