Ummm....now the belt wont fit?! WTF?!

Black03COBRA

Ok, well i have the interchangable Upper pulley set and i put the 2.77 back on. I go to put the Gatorback 735 back on and it will not go on. WHY? i put the 745 on for now just so i can drive it but it slips bad! Is this the right belt? Is there something i am not doing or doing wrong!?! i did it b4, why cant i now. ANYONE, help me please....i think im suffering from the stupids.:bash:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Im pretty sure that there is a belt tensioner that you can loosen up with a 1/2 inch ratchet. This will loosen up the belt so you can fit the belt back on. Hope this helps. Black03

finally

Established Member
There is a small piece of metal that stops the belt tensioner from going down far enough to get the 73.5 on. I just put a long flathead screwdriver on the piece, gave it two wacks with a hammer and the piece of metal came off. This allows you to get the tension arm down enough to get your belt on.

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
Make sure the belt is lined up perfect on all the other pulleys! If it was on there before, there is no other reason it shouldn't fit!

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Make sure you are putting the belt on the blower pulley and every pulley except one of the middle lower idlers. You will be slipping the belt over one of the idlers last and not the blower pulley. And of course you know to use a 1/2 breaker bar or ratchet to ease pressure on the belt tensioner

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
You will be slipping the belt over one of the idlers last and not the blower pulley

Yes, this is the trick to it.

Cutting off the tensioner stop helps too, but if you had the belt on before, that shouldn't be necessary. Maybe with a new belt or a smaller belt though...
I cut the stop off on mine because the desired belt size fell in between two sizes and I needed the room to get the smaller belt on. I used a Dremel tool on the stop on mine though.
A hammer sounds kinda brutal. ;-)

Dana

4D THNDR

Established Member
Pop the stop tabs off the tensioner with a screwdriver and hammer.

Idler1.JPG

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
Originally posted by finally
There is a small piece of metal that stops the belt tensioner from going down far enough to get the 73.5 on. I just put a long flathead screwdriver on the piece, gave it two wacks with a hammer and the piece of metal came off. This allows you to get the tension arm down enough to get your belt on.

:lol: I love it, the two wacks with a hammer solution! I am sure the svt engineers read this and veins start poping out of their heads!

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Umm...there's gotta be a reason those were put there. ;) I don't think I could get anywhere near my Cobra with a screwdriver and a hammer. It would probably spit at me.

Users who are viewing this thread