Unable to return to stock tune

black5.0

Established Member
Trying to return to my stock tune and I receive error 1016 on my SCT x3/sf3. Called sct support and was told my device is programmed for a 2012 and my custom tune is for a 2011. I can load custom tunes just fine but am unable to return to stock. SCT support said I could send the tuner in but it would cost me $150 to do that. Is there another option? :shrug: The car has never been to the dealer so it was never reflashed.

Thanks in advance.

by9468840

Established Member
It happened to me once. I just unplugged the battery and waited for an hour.
It worked. Did you try this? After I returned the car to stock, I updated the tuner firmware and the problem never happened again

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Turn on the head lights and disconnect the battery for 20-30 minutes with the hood open, while leaving the headlights turned on, NOT AUTOLAMP MODE!

Let the car cool down, then try the entire process again by returning to stock, then tuning it from there.

Fun4me

Established Member
Turn on the head lights and disconnect the battery for 20-30 minutes with the hood open, while leaving the headlights turned on, NOT AUTOLAMP MODE!

Let the car cool down, then try the entire process again by returning to stock, then tuning it from there.
Do the headlights stay on w/ the battery disconneted?

black5.0

Established Member
I will try the battery disconnect when I get home, thanks.

Although I just updated the firmware. Probably should have waited huh?

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Do the headlights stay on w/ the battery disconneted?
Yes. This will drain all the voltage out of the electrical system.

Basically what is happening with these cars when you tune them, is that the charging system is already temperature hot from driving, and when you try to tune the car, there is so much stuff communication, it produces more heat and the charging system goes into limp mode, which is why you get the error to check the charging system after the tune failure.

That is how I understand it to work.

Fun4me

Established Member
I will try the battery disconnect when I get home, thanks.

Although I just updated the firmware. Probably should have waited huh?
Your not supposed to update the firmware before returning to stock. You might brick your pcm.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Your not supposed to update the firmware before returning to stock. You might brick your pcm.

I don't think the SCT program will even let you update the firmware unless you have returned the car to stock. I remember getting a warning when i wanted to load new tunes files. I had to run out to the car and return to stock, then update and load tunes.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Yes. This will drain all the voltage out of the electrical system.

Basically what is happening with these cars when you tune them, is that the charging system is already temperature hot from driving, and when you try to tune the car, there is so much stuff communication, it produces more heat and the charging system goes into limp mode, which is why you get the error to check the charging system after the tune failure.

That is how I understand it to work.

this is dead on

black5.0

Established Member
So I disconnected the battery for a little over an hour now I get error 1014, no stock file found when I try to return to stock. What now?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Now u have to send in ur tuner for sct to load a stock file or have a ford dealer reflash ur PCM.

Yup. Always return the car to stock when you are flashing to a new tune. This will ensure that the stock file is still on the tuner.

Also, if I were you, when you get the tuner back from SCT, the FIRST thing you need to do is tune the with a canned tune, go inside and IMMEDIATELY save the stock tune file on your computer in a secure place, as well as an online back.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
OP, what's your computer code on your car?

Maybe you can find someone on here and try and upload their stock tune file?? :shrug:

black5.0

Established Member
OP, what's your computer code on your car?

Maybe you can find someone on here and try and upload their stock tune file?? :shrug:

Computer code is VXT3

Sct can remotely flash your device thru your computer

If that's the case the person I was talking to is misinformed. Then again I did have to repeat myself about 3 times for everything as he typed away at something...

The other day on the freeway I gave it some gas to accelerate pass some cars in 5th gear and I lost basically all power, ran horrible, I couldn't really go over 2k rpm and the exhaust would pop and the check engine light came on. Turned the car off then back on, no check engine light and car ran fine. wtf was that? Think I might need to reload my aftermarket tune?

Users who are viewing this thread