under 3000rpms

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
might be the drive by wire. when you put the pedal to the floor the throttle body doesn't snap open like a linkage system, but it opens at a progressive rate. the 1st gen S197s are like this at least, i'm sure they carried it over.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
What you expect? It is very small in c.i. w no s/c to dynamically boost c.i. like a 03. I agree, w a auto esp w 1.5k stall it is weak coming off the line. My old 65 w a 289 hipo was even worse imo. Even w a 3.50 gear. Only so much variable cam timing and so on can do. My 2011 at 4k+ gets w it. Plus figure this car is no lightweight like my 65 was, so imo it does good for what it is. Yes it should be better and is by a huge amount. But it is not a 4v 400 c.i. n/a mtr.

5.0jake

Established Member
Is it just the stock tune or do these cars feel like they make no power under 3k rpms.

I am stock and feel disappointed if I punch it anywhere below 4k rpm's. I do have 3.31's which I think emphasize this. Besides a blower, is there anything that can help this:??:
I am getting 3.73's this weekend which will help me get in my powerband quicker. 4.10's-4.30's would too much for my daily commute.

wazslow

Established Member
A tune will help alot! But yes, its a small motor, not going to make tons of torque down low. That being said alot is the drive by wire throttle response. A tune will wake that thing up big time!

1Quick4.6

Established Member
I am stock and feel disappointed if I punch it anywhere below 4k rpm's. I do have 3.31's which I think emphasize this. Besides a blower, is there anything that can help this:??:
I am getting 3.73's this weekend which will help me get in my powerband quicker. 4.10's-4.30's would too much for my daily commute.

i wouldn't be quick to judge my 4.30s get 21mpg and tach2krom at 60 mph on a 28in tire. with stock tire the 4.10 would be about the same outcome. rember this car have a tall tire 27 1/4 stock. i just saw the stock tune thing and yeah a tune will make a drastic difference in feeling off a low rpm hit

Last edited:

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
it is the stock tune. mine with a tune blows them off at low rpms just mashing it. 1st and second. its hard to pull onto the highway i have to be easy.

the stock tune is TREMENDOUSLY conservative.

ford used tiny exhaust pipes and a tune to hold power down to 416.

Last edited:

5.0jake

Established Member
i wouldn't be quick to judge my 4.30s get 21mpg and tach2krom at 60 mph on a 28in tire. with stock tire the 4.10 would be about the same outcome. rember this car have a tall tire 27 1/4 stock. i just saw the stock tune thing and yeah a tune will make a drastic difference in feeling off a low rpm hit

I wasn't really assuming anything and don't care about MPG. I don't want 4.10's or 4.30 because I have a long daily commute everyday and I would be doing crazy shifting with those gears.

cdog1157

Established Member

It's weird how so many people are getting 20mpg or more with big gears and driving hard all the time. I haven't gotten over 18mpg and 90% of my driving in on the interstate.

5.0jake

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread