Under Drive Pully

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
I am getting kinda tired of the way my Cobra's charging system always drops down to about 12 volts at idle and slightly dims the headlights and dash lights. It also drops the in-dash volt meter way down. Isn't the stock Cobra pulley an under drive pulley and if so can I use a regular 5.0 pulley in it's place to give me the "at idle" voltage that I want?

Ithnu

Established Member
I'm not sure about the swap, but yes the alternator pulley on the Cobra is under driven. Mine did that bad until I put a new battery in. It still drops a bit but doesn't bother me.

kcp203

Established Member
All the pulleys are under drive (crank, waterpump, and alternator). I don't know how much a difference it makes just changing the alternator pulley without changing the crank. Probably better off buying a battery with slightly higher amps.

wheelhopper

Established Member
A better alternator would be a good idea. There are several aftermarket and late model conversion alternators that would provide more volts at the same RPM as your current alternator. The stock alternators on the fox body's are not that strong anyway.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
Cobra alternator pulley is the same as non-cobra. The only pullies that are different are the waterpump and crank, both are smaller. you would need a larger crank pulley or smaller alt. pulley to speed up alt. or just get an upgradded alt. and make sure all your grounds are good.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Cobra alternator pulley is the same as non-cobra. The only pullies that are different are the waterpump and crank, both are smaller. you would need a larger crank pulley or smaller alt. pulley to speed up alt. or just get an upgradded alt. and make sure all your grounds are good.

+1.

Only crank and water changed. Same for 93-95.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread