undercoating 03

H.B.T.

Established Member
i'm new to the sight and have a question. are any of you getting your 03 undercoated and the paint sealed, if your not why not thank's for your feed back in advance

Black Cobra

Established Member
You'll have to school me on the "paint sealed" thing. As far as the undercoating goes... I'm not doing it because by car won't be exposed to salt. If I lived near the sea or in an area that put salt down on the road, I definately would.

Weasel

Established Member
No way I would undercoat again. I live in MA and a *lot* of salt is used here during the winter.
Back around '85 it was all the rage around here; it was a must have. I bought a new T-Bird V8 and of course had it undercoated. After a few years rust was appearing around the rocker panels, quarter panels, etc. What appeared to be happening is that the material was helping to trap salt and debri not allowing the salty stuff to rinse off very readily. In '97 I bought a new T-Bird Sport and of course I didn't get it undercoated. After 5 1/2 yrs. it's still in great shape with 114,000 miles on it (trading it for my Cobra) and it's been many years since I've heard anyone around here talking about having their cars undercoated.
So, my recommendation is that you not have it done. Especially down in VA where the amount of salt used there is nothing in comparison.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
This is a good question and I've been considering the same thing. I have heard others talk about the problem w/ undercoating trapping in contaminants and/or plugging up drainage holes. All I can do is speak to my experience. I had an '86 GT that I had Ziebarted, although I never drove it in the winter. I just wanted that extra protection. I can tell you that the undercarriage of that vehicle is clean as a whistle and there are absolutely no rust holes. (But again, it wasn't driven in the winter.) So what I was considering for the '03 was to have it undercoated just to keep the undercarriage clean. Without it, you know you are going to get rust even if you don't drive it in the winter, and I just can't stand the sight of rust (even if it is just underneath.) The tradeoff is weight. The 03 is already pretty portley, and I'ld just assume not add to that. I may have something sprayed underneath if it doesn't add too much weight. This is just my opinion based on my own experience. I don't know if that helps you in your decision, but thought I'ld give you my two cents on it.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Yo, Henry, did you also ask for feedback on Stangnet?

1) Sealer is BS - fancy name for wax/polish, etc. You still need to re-finish your car every 2-3 months to keep it nice.

2) Cars today are treated enough for corrosion - in some cases, a poor aftermarket job can void your mfr's warranty (read any manual).

Jeez, you are in Virginia - this is not a big deal, just wash under the chassis every few months and you will be fine.

Plus, if you ever plan to work on the car, Ziebart made a complete mess of most of the drive train the one time (1985 GT) I did it - never again. Plus, it would seem to interfere with cooling on metal surfaces, no?

H.B.T.

Established Member
thank's everyone for your reply. my decision is i'm not going to have it done. your replys helped with my decision.i understand that some of the 03 will be coming in about the end of may. so get ready!hey did any of you check on the coast of insurance on these babies, well i did and it looks like it's a few buck's more than i was paying on my lighting 16.00 buck's more a month not bad.thank's again forall your replys

Friendchicken

Sealant and undercoating is just dealer fluff. If I wanted those things done, do you really think the dealer will use the best stuff and do the best job? I know, I used to do the undercoating at a dealership- and we used whatever products we got that was priced better.

You can get it done professionally for half the cost that a dealer quotes.

my03svtcobra

Established Member
HEY GUYS
F- that its junk and some slob could make a big mess under your car besides mine will be in its stall (heated in the winter)
and will never ever see the rain
sd

Rob03

Established Member
Originally posted by my03svtcobra
HEY GUYS
F- that its junk and some slob could make a big mess under your car besides mine will be in its stall (heated in the winter)
and will never ever see the rain
sd

I bought a ranger several years ago and they decided to undercoat it without asking. I went to pick it up after signing all the paperwork and took one look at it and just about shit my pants. There was undercoating overspray all over the sides. They wound up repainting the truck before I would take delivery...so just stay away from that stuff...they could make the mistake on you too...

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

Ram Rod

Got Truck?
Established Member
I dont know if you heard of this, but through Ford down here in Florida you can get this device called the rust inhibitor and what it is, is a electronically contolled magnet. It reverses the polarity of your car and keeps rust off. I really dont know if it works but it maybe a good form of birth controll as to say that it messes with you who by the way is sitting in it while its working:eek:

So Says Me

Users who are viewing this thread