undercoating? anyone done it

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
have any of you new edgers had your car undercoated? my car sees all kinds of weather and im looking for added protection against rusting and what not. Any of you all done it? what steps did you take to do it? anything need removed?

thanks guys

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
I am actually considering it, starting to see some yellow spots on the white undercarriage.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i had it on my 01(previous owner had done it). it's nice for people that drive it in all the weather, but i don't so i freakin hated it. when working on it underneath you just get black crap all over your arms and hands...

car looked sick last night btw! love the wheels!

realitygt

Established Member
original owner had it done by ziebart on my 98. it's got 110k on the clock and the undercoating is still goin strong w/ almost no rust, but it's ugly looking. underside has significantly less rust than the 99 which has less miles.

Last edited:

Azsnake

Established Member
original owner had it done by ziebart on my 98. it's got 110k on the clock and the undercoating is still goin strong w/ almost no rust, but it's ugly looking. underside has significantly less rust than the 99 which has less miles.

I have the same stuff on my car. Makes the inside of the fenders always look dirty from the tires kicking stuff up. Kinda annoying!

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I had undercoating for the wheel wells..it actually made it look a lot cleaner!

But...I got rid of my wheel wells..so no undercoating for me now, lol

01vert

Established Member
If the underside is not perfectly prepped and rust free you can end up covering the rust and causing more problems. Best solution is to make sure the salt and crap is washed off the underside asap.

Undercoat will look good since it is not metal, but what the metal is doing under the coating is the real issue.

mustangman36578

Established Member
undercoated mine when the whole drivetrain and gas tank was out. it was pretty eas y with everything out lol. cleaned everything very well with a few cans of brake clean and soappy water. there was very little rust since the car was originally from kansas. only rust i saw was on the subframe connectors but used a grinder to get the little bit of rust off. looks better undercoated in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread