Underhood Letters

mattz03svt

Just a normal poster
Established Member
I was just wondering if anyone sells or makes any lettering for the COBRA that is on our hood blanket for the 03/04 Cobras. It would dress up the engine bay somewhat. I tried to paint it, but it is extremely hard to paint. Any suggestions?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
UPR made them but they fall off, so they don't sell them anymore. The only solution is to paint the letters very carefully (remove the hood blanket).

Originally posted by mattz2000gt
I was just wondering if anyone sells or makes any lettering for the COBRA that is on our hood blanket for the 03/04 Cobras. It would dress up the engine bay somewhat. I tried to paint it, but it is extremely hard to paint. Any suggestions?

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I painted the letters yellow on mine since my hood is unpainted unerneath... From far away it looks pretty cool, but up real close looks home made... If your hood is painted I'd say rip the blanket off all together... but painting the letters will suffice...I used an angle brush and lots of patience

johng218

Established Member
UPR's yellow 03 Cobra was at FFW at Dinwiddie this weekend and it looked liked a big turd under the hood. Too many polished/chrome things that were tarnished or scratched and the hood blanket letters looked like they were stuck on with scotch tape and within a minute of falling off. It made a good car look really cheesy in my opinion.

John G

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
If you take your time and paint a couple of coats, the letters look decent. I used gray for the letters and black touch up where I messed up. The key is going by eye and not following the exact contours of the letters which are not perfectly stamped.

hoofbeat

Established Member
:beer: I painted mine last July with silver spray paint. Took blanket off and used masking tape around the letters,them used newspaper to protect the rest of hood blanket. took a couple of hours and has looked good for almost a year .

TRBO VNM

my hood is painted under the blanket....well, now it is after they covered it under warranty. I used the bumper insert and put them on, but I put them on going left to right instead of up and down because up and down the letters cover too many creases in the underhood structure. I think it looks decent and everyone has said they like it.

Scott 01Cobra

have bling will travel
Established Member
Re: Re: Underhood Letters

Originally posted by ChicagoMike
UPR made them but they fall off, so they don't sell them anymore. The only solution is to paint the letters very carefully (remove the hood blanket).

That is one of the funniest things I've heard in a while ......

Me not surprised :)

Scott 01Cobra

have bling will travel
Established Member
Originally posted by johng218
UPR's yellow 03 Cobra was at FFW at Dinwiddie this weekend and it looked liked a big turd under the hood. Too many polished/chrome things that were tarnished or scratched and the hood blanket letters looked like they were stuck on with scotch tape and within a minute of falling off. It made a good car look really cheesy in my opinion.

John G

This is also hillarious .......

Once again, not surprised!

Scott 01Cobra

have bling will travel
Established Member
Removing the hood blanket is your best bet. However, the paint underneath I have seen to be VERY good or VERY bad.

Here is a SMALL picture (you can barely see the letters) of what you can do - place the stainless on after the blanket is gone.

cover1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread