underhood temps / silencer

imswheel

Quality SVT Poster
Established Member
For your dancing and dining pleasure,

I have been playing with my new Autotap and it showed that the intake air temp is almost 15 deg warmer without the silencer. I noticed that the outside temp was a balmy 27 deg but the air going into the intake was 42 degrees.

I recorded the mass air along with the temp, put the silencer back on and did it again. With the silencer the intake air temp and the out side air temp ( as reported by the radio ) were almost the same. (33 vs 36) The mass airflow showed no change and the boost levels stayed the same as well.

My performance vote is to leave it in. The seat of the pants dyno felt better but that may have been the "placeebo" effect cause I new the air was better.

It is amazing to see how fast the 2nd air charge temp (temp after the Eaton) goes up when you get into the boost. It can go up 20 degrees in just a few seconds and takes quite awhile to drop back down. The silencer lowered both temps considerably.

Now I hope I dont drive up a tree when trying too see the laptop display while driving like a scalded monkey!! That would be bad!

Thanks

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Very good stuff. This verifies what I've read before. That is is much better to pull the air out of the fender than under the hood.

I wonder what the charge temp would be without the filter box? (Just an open element only)

I think Kenne Bell's site says there is something like a 70 degree difference.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
This is why I fabbed a plate that I attached to the top of the stock air box and then to the fender that blocks off all of the engine compartment air, thus allowing it to pull from the hole in the fender without the silence.

If you ever decide to part from that autotap let me know. Me needs one badly, but I can't justify paying for a new one right now.

Tim Lester

Established Member
I did something like that with my predator and found out with my 12" open k&n going down the road at 60 mph that my iat was at 40degs the same as the outside, and comming to a stop at a light the temp would go up to 70 degs and that was sitting at the light for maybe a minute or two, could'nt believe it.So when the weather gets better Im looking for a different cai.

Tim

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Here is a pic of the plate that I made to block off the engine compartment air from getting into the stock filter housing after i removed the silencer. I had a Mac CAI, as well as a Densecharger, and neither has kept the iat as cool whether I am driving, or sitting at a stop light as this simple little stainless steel plate. Of course it is painted now to match my air-box and Upper intake hat.

Users who are viewing this thread