Unexplained ENGINE FAILURE on the '01

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I can bet oyu money he was beating on it and shifted into lets say 2nd rather than 4th. (Happened to a buddy of mine)
I hope you friend has deep pockets

So you are saying that you know someone that knows someone that shifted from 3rd into 2nd instead of 4th and the result was a broken cam bolt? Please elaborate....

Every single cam bolt failure I have seen so far (three recently, four total) was a result of metal fatigue or the cam bolt backing out. None of them were the result of high rpm abuse.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
One simple part failure can sure cause a lot of damage in short order. Good luck getting it running again soon.

HoustonGT

Established Member
I can bet oyu money he was beating on it and shifted into lets say 2nd rather than 4th. (Happened to a buddy of mine)
I hope you friend has deep pockets

You know, if the car threw a rod or had a bent valve or cracked block, I would say it was the abuse the driver put on the car that caused failure. In this case, I don't see how that could cause a stationary bolt to shear in half.

Paintless302 (Alex) been my best friend and like a brother since the 5th grade, so its not a random person who I let drive the car and the failure of this type of part could have occured at any point in time and its better that it occured as he pulled up rather than happening while I was going 80-90mph on the freeway on the way to school or something.
I made sure to call Ford and SVT today to document what happened and show my discontent for the failure of a part that was isolated from user/driver error. Anyone else with the cam bolt failure should call and make sure you let them know that you are not the first as well.
Going to pull the timing cover, valve cover, oil pan, cooler, and pump tomorrow to check for what was damaged. I'll take some pics for you guys and take it from there.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
Make sure to call 1800-FORD-SVT and tell them to document it and give your VIN number as well. Never know if this could lead to a bigger issue in the future.

2 motors later there is no point in me calling now. A ford dealer isnt gona do shit with my car lmao

HoustonGT

Established Member
UPDATE:

Drained the oil from the car and have some good news.
First, there were no metal shavings to be found and the oil looked very clean. And also, the pan had a good 3-4 quarts still left in it meaning the motor did not get close to running dry.
I went ahead and unbolted all 16 bolts holding the oil pan on, but realized id have to loosen and move the rack to get the pan out. It got dark, so i'll leave that for tomorrow and if i find there is no bolt or metal, im gonna consider myself one lucky SOB.

That'll mean all that will be left is to replace the valve cover, check the chains for damage and any metal shards, replace the cam gear bolt, and replace the timing cover. Then ill have to fire her up and pray for a miracle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread