Uninsured Motorist Question

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
So... the wife was stopped at a school crossing and some tool with PIP only hit the rear of the GTO. Anybody ever had to use their Uninsured Motorist? We have a $250 deductible, but I'm just wondering if this claim is going to make OUR rates go up. :shrug:

btw... a quick stop at the body shop that repaired the Cobra's passenger door (Cobra parked, blue hair backing up in her mini-van... need I say more? :fm: ) unofficially guesstimated at least $3000 for this one... and here's a couple of pics...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If he has any type of auto insurance (you say he has PIP) in Florida he must carry the minimum which includes liability insurance, they dont write insurance policies with just PIP (personal injury protection). If you go through your insurance, for the uninsured motorist your rates should not go up as she was hit from behind while stopped. That being said, insurance companies seem to do whatever they want, so filing a claim is always a gamble.

Was there a police report? If not she needs to go file an accident report and get the crossing guard info to add as a witness.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Thanks man... and yeah, I thought liability was required so maybe she just forgot to mention it too. Hopefully.

There IS a police report and plenty of witnesses so at least that's covered... and the insurance adjuster already came and left and his estimate was $3578.79 "with a written stipulation that there may be more unseen damage". :eek: I need to get in the body repair business!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Oh yeah. I paid $1400 to paint the hood, bumper and quarter of my Vette. The paint cost was about $100 retail. So there was $1300 in labor/profit. It was billed at about 20 hours.

GOX

Established Member
Try to go thru the at-fault's vehicle's insurance. Florida has a minium PIP/PD(property damage) law. They should have at least 10k PD coverage. If you go thru your carriers, you'll have to pay for your deduct, but Your carrier will then go after the other insurance company(subrogation). You'll be usuing your collision coverage, not uninsured motorist coverage

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Update for any interested... the repairs were finished a couple days ago and the final cost was $5700. :eek: It has to go back to paint one more time but that's already included.

GOX said:
Try to go thru the at-fault's vehicle's insurance. Florida has a minium PIP/PD(property damage) law. They should have at least 10k PD coverage. If you go thru your carriers, you'll have to pay for your deduct, but Your carrier will then go after the other insurance company(subrogation). You'll be usuing your collision coverage, not uninsured motorist coverage
We ended up going through our insurance and they're going after the other company/party now so we'll get our deduct back eventually. The driver that hit it was ticketed for careless driving.

Users who are viewing this thread