Universal Remotes ( Harmony)

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Does anybody use a universal remote in their house?

Now that I've set up everything for my living room. I have 6 remotes for my living room. What remote do you reccomend that can cover most applications?

Right now I have

1. Remote for LED on TV ( cant be connected to universal)
2. Amazon Firestick remoke ( can)
3. Roku Remote for TV ( can)
4. Surround sound ( can)
5. Projector ( can)
6. Cable Remote ( can)

I'm looking for ease of access, basically switch from source to source simple, and can easily adjust anything necesary

Zodiac

Established Member
I've been using Harmony Remotes for years. I have currently the Harmony 700. It's probably my favorite one I've had. It's discontinued but I believe the 650 is the same thing just different color but isn't rechargeable, although a set of panasonic eneloops will fix that.

My current remote controls my DVR box, Samsung TV, Denon receiver, and Xbox One. I love the fact that you can program different activities. I have a watch tv which turns on tv, receiver, cable box and sets the correct inputs for everything. Also have a play xbox one which turns on the tv, receiver, xbox one and sets the correct inputs as well.

Definitely worth it to get one. IMO.

CompOrange04GT

Established Member
I've been using Harmony Remotes for years. I have currently the Harmony 700. It's probably my favorite one I've had. It's discontinued but I believe the 650 is the same thing just different color but isn't rechargeable, although a set of panasonic eneloops will fix that.

My current remote controls my DVR box, Samsung TV, Denon receiver, and Xbox One. I love the fact that you can program different activities. I have a watch tv which turns on tv, receiver, cable box and sets the correct inputs for everything. Also have a play xbox one which turns on the tv, receiver, xbox one and sets the correct inputs as well.

Is it just touch screen where you can just switch between sources?

bigmoose

Established Member
Harmony smart hub all the way. It's cheap too. It has a base station that is the IR blaster with wired extensions. The remote is RF so it doesn't need line of sight and you don't have to point it at you devices when you pick an option.

I have it working with my TV, xbox, fire TV, and receiver. I used to have it running with Windows Media center. It also works with my nest thermostat.

I tried so many other devices and this one does everything. I should also mention I have all my devices in a cabinet out of sight.

Zodiac

Established Member
Is it just touch screen where you can just switch between sources?

The one I mentioned isn't a touch screen. I rather have the buttons that correspond. It does have a screen which show different options that you can customize. There are touch screen ones but they are pricey.

Like bigmoose posted the smart hub is a good choice too. It was just $79.99 the other day at Best Buy as well.

CompOrange04GT

Established Member
Harmony smart hub all the way. It's cheap too. It has a base station that is the IR blaster with wired extensions. The remote is RF so it doesn't need line of sight and you don't have to point it at you devices when you pick an option.

I have it working with my TV, xbox, fire TV, and receiver. I used to have it running with Windows Media center. It also works with my nest thermostat.

I tried so many other devices and this one does everything. I should also mention I have all my devices in a cabinet out of sight.

Will it run XBMC?

madscotsman

Established Member
I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Sima-8-Devic...477319258&sr=1-2&keywords=sima+remote+control

My particular model (this one) appears to be discontinued, but the company makes newer models. You can set up each devices button layout and remove unused buttons from displaying based on what device is activated by the remote once it's programmed. You can also program the device to follow certain steps like turn on certain devices one at a time, with some programing. You can push the power button and have it power on the cable box, then the receiver, then change the receiver to a certain input, then turn on the TV, all with one button press. It also has the ability to learn your existing remotes by simply pointing them at the back of it then programming it. You don't have to look for and enter codes like you do with other remotes but you still can do that as well for programming. Using the existing remote to teach the universal one, you could set ANY button on the Universal remote to = any button from your existing one. If this thing let you rename some of the existing buttons (each button on the universal remote DOES have multiple labels you can select from, but no customizable one), it would be perfect. Maybe their newer models have this feature?? Worth taking a look at them IMO.

BlueSnake01

Established Member

+1 Same remote I have and its awesome. I love the activities programming. If I wanna watch sports with the SRS, press one button and itll set everything up for me, wanna play my PS4 with just the TV? Press one button and itll turn off my SRS and change the input, etc.

No need to have to power up the devices one by one and changing the inputs, everything gets done with one button.

98slowbra

Established Member
I used the Harmony 650, that sucks and forgot all the programing, I upgraded to a harmony 850, I also have a harmony one, like both of them very well.

Users who are viewing this thread