Unlawful??? Detainment Video

hks

Established Member

Remember, there are exception and exemptions to hearsay. Either way, they are both admissible. Secondly, if admissible the defense can object all day long and they are still coming in unless another objection, othet than hearsay, is sustained.

Having two posts does not mean you are wrong, it just means you are a newbie who has does not have any standing/reputation here. You clearly sound like a law student and not a practicing attorney.

The fact still remains that Rossim does not get the intracacies of the law and certainly not the Rules of Evidence. He stated Hearsay does is not admissible in court and he is clearly wrong.

Your statements regarding Gates and Spinelli only hold water in States without an evidence code. States with an evidence code and the Fed use their code to determine exceptions and exemptions to hearsay. Also, depending on the type of proceeding even inadmissible hearsay at trial would be admitted. But your boy, Rossim, latches on to your general statement of hearsay and declares victory.

So, how about you put forth your credentials and lend some credibility to your statements.

I'm not in disagreement; I think we are saying the exact same thing. Evidence can be admitted either through exception to hearsay, or if its used for something other than to prove the truth of the matter (e.g. - state of mind). Hearsay evidence might be admitted in many types of proceedings (including bench trial). But during the motions in limine, defendant will move to exclude the phone calls, and sometimes might win.

This isn't an endorsement of Rossim's position that a 9-1-1 phone call can't be included at trial--of course it can, if it meets an exception, or if it isn't hearsay (not used to prove the truth of the matter asserted).

Gates/Spinelli discussion from earlier was for probable cause. To my understanding most states fall under Gates; NY for instance uses Aguilar-Spinelli for the stricter reliability/veracity prongs.

I can see why you would think I'm a law student, since in many contexts only a law school student would bother to post legal clarifications in a non-legal forum.

What I am is a former terminator owner who is thinking of returning to the Mustang fold. I was just passing through to see what people think of the S197 and the different iterations. And while visiting, I decided to pop by some of the other forums, like this one.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I'm not in disagreement; I think we are saying the exact same thing. Evidence can be admitted either through exception to hearsay, or if its used for something other than to prove the truth of the matter (e.g. - state of mind). Hearsay evidence might be admitted in many types of proceedings (including bench trial). But during the motions in limine, defendant will move to exclude the phone calls, and sometimes might win.

I have over 150 trials under my belt. I can tell you I have never had a 9-1-1 tape excluded by a motion in limine unless it was not relevant to the instant matter. However, as it goes to proof or establishing PC, it will not be excluded by a Motion in Limine. It will go to hearing/trial and the defense can rebut.

This isn't an endorsement of Rossim's position that a 9-1-1 phone call can't be included at trial--of course it can, if it meets an exception, or if it isn't hearsay (not used to prove the truth of the matter asserted).

I know this, as I deal with it constantly. My problem is actually get the recordings in a timely manner and not having them excluded under Richardson.

Gates/Spinelli discussion from earlier was for probable cause. To my understanding most states fall under Gates; NY for instance uses Aguilar-Spinelli for the stricter reliability/veracity prongs.

NY is also a model penal code state with no evidence code. Therefore, they are the outlayer on most things.

I can see why you would think I'm a law student, since in many contexts only a law school student would bother to post legal clarifications in a non-legal forum.

No, only a law student or legal academic (non-practicing attorney) would argue the exception and not the rule based in minutia and that led me to my conclusion which you seemingly wont refute.

What I am is a former terminator owner who is thinking of returning to the Mustang fold. I was just passing through to see what people think of the S197 and the different iterations. And while visiting, I decided to pop by some of the other forums, like this one.

Happy hunting.

hks

Established Member

No, only a law student or legal academic (non-practicing attorney) would argue the exception and not the rule based in minutia and that led me to my conclusion which you seemingly wont refute.

In my first post I stated," it's not clear to me that a 9/11 call will always be admitted under a hearsay exception." I didn't realize that is arguing a rule based in minutia.

Your own, admittedly extensive, criminal trial experience leads you to believe otherwise. If anyone on the board is more interested in this, plenty of articles have addressed this issue. (See When Is Hearsay Statement Made to 911 Operator Admissible as "Excited Utterance" Under Uniform Rules of Evidence 803(2) or Similar State Rule, 7 A.L.R.6th 233 (Originally published in 2005).)

FordSVTFan I sent you a pm. [Edit: Or at least I would have sent a pm, apparently the PM system is too complicated for me to figure out.]

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I always find it funny when someone posts "stuff" and gets called out on their credentials they say something like "I am not an LEO, lets leave it at that" all that tells me is that the person is trying to make themselves out to be something they are not.

In my first post I stated," it's not clear to me that a 9/11 call will always be admitted under a hearsay exception." I didn't realize that is arguing a rule based in minutia.

Your own, admittedly extensive, criminal trial experience leads you to believe otherwise. If anyone on the board is more interested in this, plenty of articles have addressed this issue. (See When Is Hearsay Statement Made to 911 Operator Admissible as "Excited Utterance" Under Uniform Rules of Evidence 803(2) or Similar State Rule, 7 A.L.R.6th 233 (Originally published in 2005).)

FordSVTFan I sent you a pm.

hks

Established Member
great

I always find it funny when someone posts "stuff" and gets called out on their credentials they say something like "I am not an LEO, lets leave it at that" all that tells me is that the person is trying to make themselves out to be something they are not.

I find it equally funny when people on Internet forums engage in ad hominem attacks. Some of the statements the LEOs were making were simply incorrect (e.g. - telephone calls are NOT hearsay) and I thought some might find it useful to hear the distinction between admissible hearsay evidence and hearsay generally. Apparently I was wrong.

If I was trying to make myself to be something that I was not, I would have made a positive claim instead of a negative one. All of my posts were made in a respectful manner to all parties involved.

And there are lots of non-nefarious reasons why one might want to avoid pasting their identity all over the Internet. Lets say I am a civil litigation lawyer who occasionally takes on criminal cases pro bono. Do you give me more weight? More importantly does that add to the discussion? If I'm wrong, I'm still wrong. If I'm right, the same applies.

I actually was trying to message FordSVTFan to explain my situation, because as a lawyer I think he would be more cognizant of why I might not want to write it out.

At any rate, I've enjoyed my brief stint here. This forum generally seems to have a lot of hostility that I don't really understand. Your collective jobs must be quite stressful.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I find it equally funny when people on Internet forums engage in ad hominem attacks.
who attacked? I merely asked a question, you gave an evasive answer that indicated to me that you were not willing to stand behind your words. All I did was point that out. you want to consider that an "attack" feel free. I will just consider it as valid as your agreeing that a phone call is hearsay, which it is not. UNLESS and Untill someone tries to use it in court improperly. but the phone call, on it's face, is not hearsay.
Some of the statements the LEOs were making were simply incorrect (e.g. - telephone calls are NOT hearsay) and I thought some might find it useful to hear the distinction between admissible hearsay evidence and hearsay generally. Apparently I was wrong.
no you weren't wrong but go read Adam's post again regarding credibility in your posts.
If I was trying to make myself to be something that I was not, I would have made a positive claim instead of a negative one. All of my posts were made in a respectful manner to all parties involved.
matter of opinion I suppose. I think when someone flat out asks you what your background is so they can decide whether or not to give credence to your statements it is not exactly respectful to give an evasive answer. that evasiveness leads one to wonder what it is you are hiding. you would not be the first to claim knowledge or to be something they are not. Most of them get caught eventually
And there are lots of non-nefarious reasons why one might want to avoid pasting their identity all over the Internet. Lets say I am a civil litigation lawyer who occasionally takes on criminal cases pro bono. Do you give me more weight? More importantly does that add to the discussion? If I'm wrong, I'm still wrong. If I'm right, the same applies.
it might. I woiuld tend to take one at his word if that were the case, much mores so than someone like rossim.
I actually was trying to message FordSVTFan to explain my situation, because as a lawyer I think he would be more cognizant of why I might not want to write it out.
While I wouldn't expect a plethora of details, I fail to see how saying "I am a lawyer" or I am a "government lawyer" or something similar at a minimum. As someone with extensive experience in jobs that require secrecy or clearences or whatever I can understand wanting to keep the details out of a forum. but there is nothing to keep one from making a general statement as to what background you have that makes you an authority on the subject.
At any rate, I've enjoyed my brief stint here. This forum generally seems to have a lot of hostility that I don't really understand. Your collective jobs must be quite stressful.
hostility? you haven't seen hostility. we can argue, debate, and any number of other things but generally on those who wear their feelings on their sleeves sees hostility where there is none. Someone inquiring as to your credentials is not being hostile.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I'm not here to argue semantics over different forms of ID. My point is that in my opinion that if you are going to carry a firearm on you, you should have to carry a form of ID on you, as a cop, you should know how people can and will play the name game or give you a friends/siblings information to avoid being ID'ed, unless that never happens by you.

Your opinion is fine and I understand that, but it's simply not the case. Just as I could say I don't understand why you won't paypal me 50 bucks everyday. It makes sense to me, but it's just not the case. :shrug:

We take the same precautions when identifying people regardless of what they are doing/carrying. People lie all the time, it's part of our job to pick up on the subtle clues that would make us keep digging.

Someone could as easily lie to me when investigating a barking dog complaint.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Man I love VT. Not uncommon to see People with long rifle and side arm. The Hunting is great! No one shits themselves it is amazing...... Mass resident sees man with a gun and flags down my buddy (VT Trooper) "Was he waiving it around like a mad man, or is it in its holster?" Masshole- "its in his Holster" Trooper- "Have a nice trip back to Mass" Too bad it is too cold for me.

Users who are viewing this thread