Unstable Co-Worker Buying Gun - LEO Only

slider701

Established Member
I have a question for LEO's only and since I am don't want to turn this into a gun debate I posted it in the Donut Shop.

I have a co-worker who is a radical Republican who has become increasingly bitter and angry since Obama went into office. In my 20+ years of working as an adult I have never met a more unstable person and I have seen quite a few of them in my days at Ford. Everyone we work with thinks this guy is a total nut-job and we're just waiting for the day he snaps. This guy is your typical 50 year old washed up and passed over old angry white guy who bitches and moans 8 hrs a day and just seems like he is always pissed at the world. This guy is the type of guy that if he shot up the workplace that NO-ONE would ever say......."we never expected it from him". In fact......most would say the saw it coming from a mile away.

The problem is that he started asking some of us a few weeks ago about gun purchases and what type of gun he should buy for home protection (not that he needs it in the white suburb of Dallas he lives in). This guy feels that Obama is going take his right away to buy a gun and he needs to get one right away. This week he told us he is buying a handgun and getting his concealed carry weapon permit. Naturally everyone is now freaked out.

Mind you, I'm a gun owner, a Republican and not happy about Obama and his changes. I'm not some type of anti-gun person in any way. I'm a strong believer in the second amendment and myself worried about things to come in the next 6+ months.

I'm just really worried that this guy is going to go off the deep end in the near future. My fears for this is compounded because as a member of management at my company I know he is towards the top of the list for the next round of job cuts that are coming within the next few weeks.

So to get to the point of my question.........Is there anything that can be done to prevent someone with a normally clean background in getting a gun if others (like myself and my co-workers) feel he is unstable to the point he may snap? Is there a way to report him to the FBI in time before his background check for purchase or the local police for his concealed carry permit?

Cliff Notes............

1. Got a shit-house crazy co-worker (in Dallas/Ft. Worth area)
2. Dude hates Obama and his hatred has grown increasingly worse over last few months
3. Now the nut-job is talking about buying gun
4. I know he is on list to be fired soon
5. What can be done to keep him from purchasing gun?

slider701

Established Member
*removed by moderator - not a L.E.O.*

No.

If he would of done that he would of been gone a long time ago. They have been building a case to fire him......something like threatening someone would of been grounds for automatic dismissal

slider701

Established Member
*removed by moderator - not a L.E.O.*

Because of the way he flies off the handle when things go wrong for him. You can see signs of a violent temper when things don't go his way, flipping out, having meltdowns, throwing stuff, making comments like "this is bullshit...........I'm not going to take this/stand for this anymore"

We have seen his meltdowns many times and we're fearful of a major trigger point, like getting fired will push him over the edge. He is the type of person who cannot see his own self destruction as the reason for his job issues.....instead he blames others, like Obama for the situation he is in (he lost his job in Ohio and ended up having to move to TX to find work, which he absolutely hates)

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
There are tons of crazy non-felon americans that can pick up guns everyday without a blink of an eye from the government. We deal with tons of wackos with guns on a daily basis and we pray that we can keep the upper hand if they attempt anything crazy. If this person is on the "get ready to be fired list", i would tell someone in upper management about this so-called gun purchase and his threats. Maybe it is what they need to make it official before he can bring the gun on company property and do something. If nothing is done, i guess you can stay on his good side and hope that he doesnt pick you off first j/j....gl

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Unless he threatens someone there is nothing one can do except to tell your upper management. If the dude wants a gun, he is going to get one, no problem on the streets. One would need to build a case to get him fired and then (CT). Meaning issue him a Criminal Trepass notice.
I have done background checks for concealed handguns and I think they are a little lax, but none the less fair. Hell, we have numerous Bandidos running around with permits. If those dudes can get one then what does this tell you.

rubber duck

Established Member
Yep, if he meets the background standards he's going to get the gun. If his behavior turns threatening against co-workers file a police report about it, and the LEO will decide if the behavior is explicit enough to require action. If he ends up getting canned a stand by can be requested by your police dept. to make sure nothing happens.

Users who are viewing this thread