(Unusual) Low Boost Power!?!

gargstang

Established Member
We had a dyno day at RWR Motorsports and I was surprised to say the least.

Car and Mods:
03 DSG with 6200 miles
Gen 1 2.3 Whipple - 3.5" pulley
JLT RAI
Accufab Single Blade TB
Borla Stingers

Everything else is factory right down to the fuel system as far as power mods are concerned.

Made 582.93 hp / 512.99 tq
11.23 pounds of boost!

Run on a Dynojet dyno. I don't have a shot of the graph just yet but will get one up soon.

The only problem is the thing was leaning out so I will be getting some fuel upgrades shortly. AFR spiking up to 13 so it will sit in the garage until the fuel issues are resolved.

Predator97SVT has video. I'll link it when he posts it.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Car and Mods:
03 DSG with 6200 miles
JLT RAI
Accufab Single Blade TB
Borla Stingers

Everything else is factory right down to the fuel system as far as power mods are concerned.

11.23 pounds of boost!

Run on a Dynojet dyno. I don't have a shot of the graph just yet but will get one up soon.

The only problem is the thing was leaning out so I will be getting some fuel upgrades shortly. AFR spiking up to 13 so it will sit in the garage until the fuel issues are resolved.

What altitude was this at?
Those numbers look unrealistic (To me) for a car with a gen 1, 3.5" pulley, stock MAF and no boost-a-pump.
I believe the altitude correction may have been off for the DA that day or something was off.

MAFs typically peg from too much air at around 500 rwhp.
Stock fuel pumps usually max out at about the same or just slightly higher.
Stock injectors are usually done around 530 rwhp.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ystem-upgrade-options-what-you-need-know.html
I suggest you get a MAF or MAFia. a 40 amp KB Boost_A_Pump w/ wire upgrade, and 60 pound injectors.

Or start pricing pistons.
seriouslymeltedcobrapiston.jpg

img1790rt1.jpg

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Something is not correct there. A 3.5 pulley on a Gen 1 is 13lbs of boost. You should be at 500 rwhp and no where near 580. Like Jimmy mentioned the stock fuel system will never support 580hp without 60lb injectors and a bap. The MAF would have pegged at like 4 or 5k and caused engine failure at those power levels.

Last edited:

gargstang

Established Member
Conditions were as follows:
75.33 degrees, 24.30 in-Hg, 22% humidity, SAE 1.25. Elevation of location is 6600 feet.

The correction factor looks right doesn't it?

stal94gt

Established Member
im not sure if those numbers are right but that is alot of power for your setup. the tq is alittle low for the hp. dyno's read diff all the time, tuners can mess with them to make cars produce bigger numbers than really produced. i have 3 dyno's in the area all using dyno jets, and sae correction of 5 and all my pulls were within 10 hp of each other.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I am surprised that anyone would even build a car with a twin screw and NOT do a MAF and a Boost-A-Pump at minimum, given the number of years these cars have been around and the abundance of experience that has accumulated and is readily available on line, since these cars came out and have then been modded.

2k4Terminator

Established Member

Car and Mods:
03 DSG with 6200 miles
JLT RAI
Accufab Single Blade TB
Borla Stingers

11.23 pounds of boost!

There's no way... On stock injectors, fuel pumps, no bap, or MAFia??

gargstang

Established Member
i have 3 dyno's in the area all using dyno jets, and sae correction of 5 and all my pulls were within 10 hp of each other.

Not sure what the deal is but there were 2 or 3 cars that have run on other dynos in the area that said they were within a few of the other runs.

I am surprised that anyone would even build a car with a twin screw and NOT do a MAF and a Boost-A-Pump at minimum, given the number of years these cars have been around and the abundance of experience that has accumulated and is readily available on line, since these cars came out and have then been modded.

I appreciate the experience and that is why I joined here. To be fair the car has been in this configuration minus the JLT and tune since 2005. The altitude does allow extra leeway that you won't see at lower elevations. This is why I have left it at the 3.5 pulley since I have owned it.

It may be time to step it up in the fuel department and that is why I posted the numbers. I plan to datalog in the next week or two to get some idea where I need to go. I'll include details for the others that reside in the high altitude areas for future reference.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Not sure what the deal is but there were 2 or 3 cars that have run on other dynos in the area that said they were within a few of the other runs.

I appreciate the experience and that is why I joined here. To be fair the car has been in this configuration minus the JLT and tune since 2005. The altitude does allow extra leeway that you won't see at lower elevations. This is why I have left it at the 3.5 pulley since I have owned it.

It may be time to step it up in the fuel department and that is why I posted the numbers. I plan to datalog in the next week or two to get some idea where I need to go. I'll include details for the others that reside in the high altitude areas for future reference.

A very good plan!:beer::rockon:

With fuel delivery it is always best to have at least a little over capacity, just to be safe, since the consequences of a lean out are so devastating.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Those numbers don't add up..

FWIW, my car made 598 on a 4# lower, and 3.5 upper...

FPDC on twin GT pumps was around 84%ish, and my MAFia I believe is set to 2, and was close to pegging..

There is no way your stock MAF, and fuel system would support the HP#s you've posted..

black 10th vert

Established Member
Looking at that video, all of the cars were where I would expect, or even a bit lower than expected (probably due to the elevation), so I don't think it was a case of a "happy dyno".:shrug:

gargstang

Established Member
Took care of the datalogging last Saturday. The issues were the MAF was pegging (I expected this), fuel pumps were maxed by 3500 rpm (tune related) and the timing was way out at 26.5.

So the question is how often does everyone check their tune on a dyno and how could the tune get so out of whack?

As for fixing this I decided to go ahead and up the boost so I have a 3" pulley, SCT MAF, BAP, 60s, wire upgrade, and swapping to a SCT Xcal for tuning. I should be well over 600 rwhp with this setup.

mystic1996

Established Member
hey Gary once you up-grade your car you should let me drive it and feel those 600 ponies, so it could persuade me to buy a whipple sooner than next year...lol j/j

Users who are viewing this thread