UPDATE: broken outer CV joint

VENOMOUS03COBRA

Established Member
well that was the verdict, i snapped the splines off of the outer CV joint. i have to wait till monday so joe can order a new one from ford and then the car will be back on the road!! thank god it wasnt to bad.

he said the diff and the cover look fine. thanx for making a great brace MJ!!! :beer:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by VENOMOUS03COBRA
well that was the verdict, i snapped the splines off of the outer CV joint. i have to wait till monday so joe can order a new one from ford and then the car will be back on the road!! thank god it wasnt to bad.

he said the diff and the cover look fine. thanx for making a great brace MJ!!! :beer:

Rock on! Glad to hear that the IRS brace is holding things together.

MJ

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Cool John, Glad it's not anything major! I must admit though, not too sure of the anatomy of a halfshaft. Is that a part you replaced with the level 2 halfshafts or was that an existing part? Also, if not with the level 2's, do you fix that problem with the level 5's?

On a side note, I assume you still powershift when running the N20?

ROCKON!

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Where do I collect my $5? ;) Drivers side like JB said right?

You say the outer CV joint, I'm not sure I follow and I know I am not certain of the terminology but I've worked on my own broken stuff. I understand the outer stub which is splined which is where most break. That outer stub has an integrated CV joint. The half shaft has a CV "triangle" pressed onto it and half shaft and CV Triangle clip into the CV Joint.

You have Stage 2 shafts so the other place most break is the shaft intelf right where the splines start and the triangle is pressed on. If the CV "triangle" itself is broken, it is not an individual part that you can purchase from Ford, you have to buy the whole halfshaft assembly if you go to Ford. You can try DSS, they may have a different source for those.

VENOMOUS03COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by sambandit
Cool John, Glad it's not anything major! I must admit though, not too sure of the anatomy of a halfshaft. Is that a part you replaced with the level 2 halfshafts or was that an existing part? Also, if not with the level 2's, do you fix that problem with the level 5's?

On a side note, I assume you still powershift when running the N20?

ROCKON!

you got it right scott. i have stage 2 , which uses the stock existing CV's, its just the axels. the stage 5 has everything axels , CV's , you name it. its definatey better for more security. im actually considering going with the stage 5's. i have to decide by monday.

and yes i powershift with the nitrous. i have a window switch from 3000-6000 , just in case i miss, but i never do!! ;-) j/k.

VENOMOUS03COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
Where do I collect my $5? ;) Drivers side like JB said right?

You say the outer CV joint, I'm not sure I follow and I know I am not certain of the terminology but I've worked on my own broken stuff. I understand the outer stub which is splined which is where most break. That outer stub has an integrated CV joint. The half shaft has a CV "triangle" pressed onto it and half shaft and CV Triangle clip into the CV Joint.

You have Stage 2 shafts so the other place most break is the shaft intelf right where the splines start and the triangle is pressed on. If the CV "triangle" itself is broken, it is not an individual part that you can purchase from Ford, you have to buy the whole halfshaft assembly if you go to Ford. You can try DSS, they may have a different source for those.

lol , you were right. :beer:

im not really sure about the anatomy of the rear either. but joe told me that it was the outer cv joint , that connects the shafts to my wheel. he said the splines were ripped off. thats all i know. lol what ever it is , he said he can get it from ford , so thats not a problem, and if it is , DSS is actually a local shop , near him, so hopefully i wont have any problems finding what i need.

Users who are viewing this thread