Update on POSSIBLE TOB fix

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Sorry brian, I wasn't trying to tell you what you should have done. I was just trying to understand Ford's position. I should have chose my words more carefully.
I had a 2000 GT which had the clutch, throw-out bearing and pressure plate changed 4 times in a year due to the same problem. I did read your post's, and am beginning to wonder if the bearing retainer was my problem. That is actually the reason I bought My Cobra. I had a service rep from Ford tell me it was the clutch cable that was making noise. Anyway, sorry to affend, not intentional.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by DRIVINGLESSON
Sorry brian, I wasn't trying to tell you what you should have done. I was just trying to understand Ford's position. I should have chose my words more carefully.
I had a 2000 GT which had the clutch, throw-out bearing and pressure plate changed 4 times in a year due to the same problem. I did read your post's, and am beginning to wonder if the bearing retainer was my problem. That is actually the reason I bought My Cobra. I had a service rep from Ford tell me it was the clutch cable that was making noise. Anyway, sorry to affend, not intentional.

No problem man, sorry for getting defensive. I am a bit touchy on it, after spending so much $ on such a simple (and eventually, CHEAP) problem. :beer:

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
Old TOB retainer, annotated to show you the problem area. It is MUCH more noticable in person:

EDIT: Sorry, said TOB instead of TOB retainer again. Fixed now :)

This morning, I took mine in for "the squeal"; it turned out that the TOB snout had sheared of completely, allowing the snout to float.
scared.gif

The tech called SVT and was told that "we have had this happen to some. We don't know what is causing it." My new tranny will be delivered tomorrow...whew!

SStupid

Established Member
cheap

No problem man, sorry for getting defensive. I am a bit touchy on it, after spending so much $ on such a simple (and eventually, CHEAP) problem. :beer:

I can't believe that Ford has not figured out what has been causing this issue for the past couple of years. There are only so many components. It almost has to be some sort of alignment issue or an issue with the pivot point of the clutch fork with respect to the linear travel of the TOB. My guess is that the clutch fork is "pushing" the TOB into the retainer sleeve because the arc of the clutch fork is too large. Not a great guess, but it's all I could come up with. I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's either alignment of the trans/crank or the clutch fork. I'm kinda sstupid, though. :p

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Re: cheap

Originally posted by SStupid
I can't believe that Ford has not figured out what has been causing this issue for the past couple of years. There are only so many components. It almost has to be some sort of alignment issue or an issue with the pivot point of the clutch fork with respect to the linear travel of the TOB. My guess is that the clutch fork is "pushing" the TOB into the retainer sleeve because the arc of the clutch fork is too large. Not a great guess, but it's all I could come up with. I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's either alignment of the trans/crank or the clutch fork. I'm kinda sstupid, though. :p

I agree. It appears to be primarily a problem with the release fork, however, my hope is that it's a combonation caused by poor alignment of the fork and a stock, steel TOB. I am hoping that the composite TOB is weak enough material that it will wear itself down instead of wearing the retainer down. Much easier to replace a TOB than the retainer (though they cost about the same).

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
I am glad you guys appreciate my thinking :) My techs looked at me like I had lost my mind over how proud of myself I was that it actually not only fit, but was the EXACT same peice :) I felt like I had outsmarted the Ford nazi's, and GOD, that feels good :lol:

Originally posted by me 8-19-2003

"Got an email basically saying...

You can get parts for the Tremec "aftermarket" T-56 for Ford
Mustangs (other than the '03 cobra).

And the sleeve for that one *should* be the same as the '03's; however, it'll just break again.

You can get the stronger D&D Viper version but you have to do a little modifying to make it work."

======

Here's the email of a guy who has already gone through all of this and completely modified his T-56 to withstand 550+rwhp

"The guide tube should be the same, but the Tremec
version is weak. It'll eventually break after you
replace it. That's why I went with the D&D unit. But
as I noted before, D&D's guide tube is made for the
viper transmission, which uses a longer input shaft.
You'll have to cut it down about an inch or so to make
it fit."

So if it breaks again, try the Viper sleeve.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Thanks Blown, I am going to have to do the full viper tranny before the turbo, I am just hoping this is enough of a fix to hold until then (about 10 months).

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Ok, I have news.

If you have not been following the threads, here's some links:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54078&highlight=TOB

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53649&highlight=TOB

First, I don't know if this is permanent fix or not, YET, but it is definitely an improvement over what I had.

The TOB retainer from D&D performance DOES fit the 03 Cobra T-56 perfectly.

Part # BC3, listed as TOB Guide (Ford) and priced at $49

Second, there are two seals you will need, one inside the retainer and one O-ring. D&D claimed you didn't need any seals, but you do. We reused my old seals, but I wouldn't recommend that. D&D should sell the seals. NAPA Oil seal part # 12363 (for the T-5) is ALMOST the right part, but it was a bit too tight for our liking. It may work, but since we got the old one out, we used it.

Next, you will need a TOB. Buy which ever one you like. I bought the Spec composite unit, but any will do. I went with the Spec because it is composite, and I don't think it will eat into the retainer.

Next, you will need a Ford clutch fork, part # XR3Z7515AA, listed as Level ASY-CL R, listing at $25.53.

Finally, you will need 4 qt's of your preferred Dexron III tranny fluid, I used Royal Purple, but it's your call.

Get a shop WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING to perform this. The retainer presses in and out pretty easily, but you have to have the right tools. My guys took about 5 hours to do it, so that's probably what you should be charged.

All in all, if it is a permanent fix, it's pretty cheap, once the correct parts are located. Only time will tell how well it works.

Here's pics of the old parts, starting with the old TOB retainer itself:

EDIT: I said this was the old TOB, but it's actually the old retainer. Been a long day, sorry :)

That is AWESOME NEWS!!!!

Thank you so much for this info!

I have been worrying and worrying about this. I've had the tranny replaced once already because of the TOB and retainer sleeve failing. Its good to know there is a servicable part for it now. I'm book marking this thread and printing this out.

THanks Again!:thumbsup:

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by BlownShift
Originally posted by me 8-19-2003

"Got an email basically saying...

You can get parts for the Tremec "aftermarket" T-56 for Ford
Mustangs (other than the '03 cobra).

And the sleeve for that one *should* be the same as the '03's; however, it'll just break again.

You can get the stronger D&D Viper version but you have to do a little modifying to make it work."

======

Here's the email of a guy who has already gone through all of this and completely modified his T-56 to withstand 550+rwhp

"The guide tube should be the same, but the Tremec
version is weak. It'll eventually break after you
replace it. That's why I went with the D&D unit. But
as I noted before, D&D's guide tube is made for the
viper transmission, which uses a longer input shaft.
You'll have to cut it down about an inch or so to make
it fit."

So if it breaks again, try the Viper sleeve.

What is the Viper sleeve made of?

Jerry

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by §ilver§nake
This morning, I took mine in for "the squeal"; it turned out that the TOB snout had sheared of completely, allowing the snout to float.
scared.gif

The tech called SVT and was told that "we have had this happen to some. We don't know what is causing it." My new tranny will be delivered tomorrow...whew!

what is the TOB snout? Is that the same as the retainer sleave?

if so and the sleeve was sheared off, could we use Guru's fix described above to correct this?

or in that case would we need to purchase an entire transmission? :(

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome
what is the TOB snout? Is that the same as the retainer sleave?

if so and the sleeve was sheared off, could we use Guru's fix described above to correct this?

or in that case would we need to purchase an entire transmission? :(

The part has been called by about 40 diffenet names, including, but not limited to: TOB retainer, TOB guide tube, TOB sleeve, etc. It's all the same part.

Dirk

Established Member
Networking Guru,
thanks for all the info, I’m dealing with his problem for almost 2 years.
I did get the Cobra spec T56 for my ’99 Cobra 1 ½ years ago and had this noise right from the beginning. I just ordered a new throwout bearing and shift fork but havened had time to install it yet.
The main problem is, that I’m located in Germany and can’t get much help or any parts here.
Do you think I should order the TOB sleeve before I pull the tranny to replace the TOB?
At least, that’s what I had in mind, because I don’t want to pull the tranny twice.

Is there a chance to get the TOB sleeve replaced by myself?

I couldn’t see the pictures in your thread, could you please post them again, or email them to me?
What’s about your homepage, is it just me or is the page dead?

Again, thanks for the help.

AllVenom

Established Member
Dirk said:
Networking Guru,
thanks for all the info, I’m dealing with his problem for almost 2 years.
I did get the Cobra spec T56 for my ’99 Cobra 1 ½ years ago and had this noise right from the beginning. I just ordered a new throwout bearing and shift fork but havened had time to install it yet.
The main problem is, that I’m located in Germany and can’t get much help or any parts here.
Do you think I should order the TOB sleeve before I pull the tranny to replace the TOB?
At least, that’s what I had in mind, because I don’t want to pull the tranny twice.

Is there a chance to get the TOB sleeve replaced by myself?

I couldn’t see the pictures in your thread, could you please post them again, or email them to me?
What’s about your homepage, is it just me or is the page dead?

Again, thanks for the help.

Boy Dirk, you sure found an old post here! There is an updated snout that addresses this issue and supposedly fixes the quick wear of the TOB. I believe it is something like $250 to purchase from Ford. In the beginning, they would just arbitrarily replace the entire trans because they didn't have the parts to fix this issue. Now they do. So, get the updated snout and the new TOB parts you need and you shouldn't have to do this again, at least anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread