Updated info on the DenseCharger-Univer combo

OverToad

Established Member
This may only interest a few of you, but I wanted to pass this along anyway.

I just got an email from John Demolet regarding the DC-Univer combo that he's going to be marketing.
I gotta be honest, I hate these technical guys :) They get excited when things come together, and start spewing out terminology that would make Einstein sit back and scratch his head :dw:

Obviously, what he sent me wasn't meant for public viewing, so I'm not going to cut/paste anything that he wrote. Truth of the matter is I'm still trying to translate it myself ;-) I'll try and give what details I can without letting the cat out of the bag. I feel an obligation to offer up info to the end-users without violating the boards vendor policies, and without violating John's confidentiality. Here goes.....

For starters, there's alot of new owners to the board, and for their benefit, I'll take this from the top (Sorry vet's :D )

The DenseCharger is a CAI from Demolet Motorsports. These systems had a great track record in all previous Mustang applications, but encountered some issues with the 2003 Cobra. After doing some experimentation's of my own, I came to the conclusion that my problems with the DC resulted from the meter being in the factory "stock" position. I had John make me a 4x4 coupler, so that I could rotate the meter around and look for a "sweet spot" if you will. I never really found a spot that gave me an extra power boost, but I did find that when I moved the meter to a high noon position, my idle problems and hesitations dissapeared. Slythetove has driven my car and can attest to this. I found this to not really be that big of a surprise, since after looking at other similarly-styled CAI's, all their meter's are also at 12 o'clock. I mention this because all of his new systems will be with the meter in this position. Just FYI for some of you guys.
About the Univer-combo. I personally don't know much about Pro-M, but they are touted as air-flow experts. Maybe some other users can chime in as to whether or not they are as great as their reputation states. They've climbed into bed with John Demolet, and are producing this combo. Instead of a single point, this Univer features a much larger, 360 degree sampling meter. I don't have pictures yet, but have been told the meter itself is much larger than the stock meter. If it samples 360 degrees, that would make sense. Apparently, it's a 100mm system. He's tested this Univer in his own Mustang, and says it's the first aftermarket meter that works with his DC in the "down" position. He's also said that it works fantasticly in the 5.0 applications. As we know, we're not concerned with the 5.0 applications ;-) but i'll be sure and pass along word after I test this thing out next week. According to Pro-m's statistics, this application is good for up to 800hp.
Now keep in mind this is a test unit. It's a finished product, but it's still a beta. There's one potential problem that he's warned me of ahead of time. The new meter is much larger than the stock one, so the sizing of the pipes may not be quite right. He's sending out a non-extended pipe, in case this is a problem, so one way or another, I'll have a correct fit. He also mentioned that they may not make very many of these, since it's a hand-welded unit. That's neither here nor there for me, so I'll leave that one as it is.

Now, this is a little off-subject, but I think it's pertinent information. We all know one of the big problems with the new '03 engines is the stalling issue. Many of us have a rough idle to go along with it.
Pro-M did alot of testing on this, and believe that the meter's position has something to do with it. They also believe that Ford won't/can't do anything about it, because there's no adjustability in the stock meter's positioning. Normally, I'd just give that statement one of these :rollseyes However, take a look at many of the other aftermarket CAI's, and you'll find that they have the meter positioned at 12 o'clock, instead of at the stock position. To me, that's evidence which lends creditability to Pro-M's statement, not to mention my own issue dissapeared when I rotated the meter to high noon. That's food for thought :dw:

Now John, shockingly enough, is sticking by his guns and STILL won't say a word about the 5.0 Shootout article that was supposed to come out........when........like last December? :bash: But the worst kept secret on these forums is that the DC won the shootout. I mention this because if this Univer-combo works, I'm going to be one excited puppy :beer: They are suggesting that I might see a 30rhp increase :thumbsup:. I'll know when I get the system fitted correctly, then up on the dyno.

John never mentioned price, so I don't have information on that. If I were to hazzard a guess, I would say around $275-$325, simply because this isn't just a CAI, it's a combo with an aftermarket meter. In reality, even if all it did was fix my rough idle, it'd be money well spent. I never had any stallings, but if I did and a meter would fix it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm supposed to get the package about this time next week. I'll update at that point.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Glad to see you are big enough to dish out praise equally as well as you dished out complaints on the system a few weeks ago. :thumbsup:

Glad things are starting to finally come together for you and your car. Thanks for the update.

BTW - I wonder if John is going to hook up the guys who already purchased a system with the part to be able to rotate the MAF sensor...

Last edited:

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
i don't have any idle or stalling problems w/ my DC, but if there is a power increase in this, i am interested.

OverToad

Established Member
Glad to see you are big enough to dish out praise equally as well as you dished out complaints on the system a few weeks ago.

Hehe....time gets distorted on these forums.......my initial complaints were back in November ;-) 90% of what I'd said wouldn't have made it to the message forum if his emails would have gotten to me. Somehow, someway, he was getting mine, but his wouldn't get through to my account. I finally had to setup another account just to receive them. We quickly squared things away. An unfortunate set of circumstances has yielded positive results for everyone :thumbsup:

As for this:

BTW - I wonder if John is going to hook up the guys who already purchased a system with the part to be able to rotate the MAF sensor...

The problem here is that it was a custom built coupler just for testing. It looked like the side of Frankenstein's neck :eek:

However, John has told me that any customers that have unresolved issues should contact him, so that he can do what he can to make people happy.
You can trust I wouldn't be doing these tests if he wasn't a standup guy. He's bent over backwards to get me sorted out, which is why I agreed to do some testing for him.

One more thing that I found in his email that I thought should be mentioned. Since you spoke up Dan, and since you've been testing and tuning with the MAFterburner, it jostled something in my memory.
John reiterated to me that this is a serious competition system, and as such, WILL lean out the car more. Again, this is based on his emails, as opposed to anything I've seen. However, he did say I'm going to be extremely happy with what I see :thumbsup:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
Hehe....time gets distorted on these forums.......my initial complaints were back in November

One more thing that I found in his email that I thought should be mentioned. Since you spoke up Dan, and since you've been testing and tuning with the MAFterburner, it jostled something in my memory.
John reiterated to me that this is a serious competition system, and as such, WILL lean out the car more. Again, this is based on his emails, as opposed to anything I've seen. However, he did say I'm going to be extremely happy with what I see :thumbsup:

It isn't the Forum that's distorted, it's my crappy memory! :-D

While I will agree with the statement a "serious competition system" will tune for "mean and lean"... I would like to think that doesn't mean over 18:1... ;-) In all seriousness, I truly think the bend was causing too much turbulence based on the wild readings I was seeing with the AutoTap. One day the short term fuel trims would be -10%, the next day it would be +10% - no wonder the adaptive computer could not adapt... I would sure like to have the ability to move my MAF sensor to the 12 o'clock position and out of the turbulent inside side of the bend.

OverToad

Established Member
Here's a thought.......maybe he'll do an upgrade for existing owners? The problem here is that it's not totally up to him now, since Pro-M is involved.

And I agree that the bend had something to do with the problem. There's just one flaw with that line of thinking though: The UPR CAI also has this bend, and I can't remember seeing one person complain about the performance of that unit. They complained about the fit and finish, and most vehemently about the customer service, but not about performance :shrug:

Yet if this 360 sampling meter does what it's supposed to do.................(insert :drool: smiley here) :thumbsup:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Overtoad, your correct about UPR customer service... My CAI had several fit and finish issues, nothing the dremel couldn't fix...I was dissappointed that they never bothered to return calls or emails on the matter. I have since switched to the k&n cone w/ flange adapter for the MAF from anderson.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
There's just one flaw with that line of thinking though: The UPR CAI also has this bend, and I can't remember seeing one person complain about the performance of that unit.

Check your PM...

Users who are viewing this thread