Updated information on steering racks

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So,

I've been looking for a 03-04 cobra steering rack for my 90 coupe. I purchased a sn95 rack on eBay. I was told it's from a 01 GT mustang. From the number SPR-NJ I've been told it's from a 97-98 mustang.

According to Jack Hidley at Maximum Motorsports, there isn't much difference between the sn95 racks. Or at least the part that matters to us.

Here is his response to my email.

The information below is something which I’ve been able to confirm, but haven’t had the chance to change on the MM website yet.

With the lone exception of the 2000 Mustang Cobra R rack:

Group 1: All 1999-2004 Mustang racks have the same valving.

Group 2: All 1996-98 Mustang racks have the same valving.

Group 3: All 1994-95 Mustang racks have the same valving.

The differences in SPR codes from the different racks within the ABOVE groups is due to differences which don’t matter to us, such as the thickness of the steering rack limiter clips. Within each group, the hydraulic valving is the same. In general, the higher the group number, the better the steering feel. Any SN95 steering rack will be a significant improvement over any Fox steering rack.

Sincerely,

Jack Hidley

Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
d3d9f7ecd82a567ce8a7ef6804b3b583.jpg

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
The internet is full of BS on these racks, It all started with ratio difference, then valving. He calls them limiter clips I call them bushings. A GT or Mach 1 rack will turn inside of a cobra stock rack due to the bushings limiting the racks travel. It gave the impression counting steering wheel revolutions of a different ratio. I broke this down 12 years ago with the racks side by side and still people disagree.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The internet is full of BS on these racks, It all started with ratio difference, then valving. He calls them limiter clips I call them bushings. A GT or Mach 1 rack will turn inside of a cobra stock rack due to the bushings limiting the racks travel. It gave the impression counting steering wheel revolutions of a different ratio. I broke this down 12 years ago with the racks side by side and still people disagree.
So you agree with the above information?

I plan on having mine sent to TurnOne steering to see if the rack I bought needs a rebuild. I'd hate to install it, then find out it needs a rebuild.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Interesting note from Jack. i've been through all of this over the years, had an '00R rack, then an AGR rebuild, then an '03-'04 Cobra rack. There are differences beyond what was mentioned here that won't be changing on MM's page. You just didn't mention them. Probably a good idea to review what they have been saying for some years now...

SN95 Steering Rack Upgrade for Fox Mustangs

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting note from Jack. i've been through all of this over the years, had an '00R rack, then an AGR rebuild, then an '03-'04 Cobra rack. There are differences beyond what was mentioned here that won't be changing on MM's page. You just didn't mention them. Probably a good idea to review what they have been saying for some years now...

SN95 Steering Rack Upgrade for Fox Mustangs
I've read the mm link you provided a few times in the last few weeks.

I just keep going back and forth if I should have my used steering rack gone over by TurnOne?

Or just buy a AGR steering rack with the correct foxbody splined steering shaft and more aggressive valving?

The steering from my cobra to the 90 coupe is night and day difference. I'd like my fox steering to feel similar to the cobra.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I previously had an AGR rack in my '90 coupe without issue. I then swapped it for a new '03-'04 Cobra rack that I had added earlier, SAE threaded tie rods to. Both were/are nice and tight with no complaints.

I've learned that steering "feel" is a function of the rack, tires/pressure, and caster/camber settings. If MM recommends TurnOne then I'd strongly consider giving them a shot.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I previously had an AGR rack in my '90 coupe without issue. I then swapped it for a new '03-'04 Cobra rack that I had added earlier, SAE threaded tie rods to. Both were/are nice and tight with no complaints.

I've learned that steering "feel" is a function of the rack, tires/pressure, and caster/camber settings. If MM recommends TurnOne then I'd strongly consider giving them a shot.
Thanks for your help. I just can't decide if I should try the rack the way it is or send it to TurnOne steering right away?
f64e99ad5f27f2e83227374eb60b4b19.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Depending on mileage, I'd just verify that the seals are all good and that the inner tie rods aren't worn or loose. Then if the price is reasonable, have TurnOne go through it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Depending on mileage, I'd just verify that the seals are all good and that the inner tie rods aren't worn or loose. Then if the price is reasonable, have TurnOne go through it.
Good call. I sent them an email about some questions. I'd rather send it out sometime this winter, so it's ready to go come spring.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Hey, don't think I brushed you off. I saw my response didn't post but was hung up in the Que.

I agree and probably still have the racks I broke down. From my memory 12 years ago. The Cobra also has a red steering column bushing that is said to be harder as apposed to the Mach 1 that was green and softer material. I didn't do a hardness test but I know they are different.

I plan on having mine sent to TurnOne steering to see if the rack I bought needs a rebuild. I'd hate to install it, then find out it needs a rebuild.

Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck!

srdigital

Established Member
is the valving different than the 't-bar' that I've seen stated is bigger in the Cobra R vs the terminator vs the GT/V6 etc?

sk8erord

Is anyone able to really articulate the differences? The steering rack on my 98 cobra is leaking, so I ordered a reman Motorcraft one. It came wiith SPR-RT etched in (STG15RM was the Motorcraft order code). How much of a difference would I notice if I ordered a VK version from Cardone? I like more steering effort. My 96GT track car has a heavier feel than the 98 cobra, but that could also be from the wider, softer tires. However, it has the rack that it came with on it. I haven't been able to read what version is on the 96 (although from what I've read, it should be a GY).

Users who are viewing this thread